1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subset? Basis?

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After sorting out basis, now I encountered a new term, Subset. And I get all confused again, clearly I'm not good at these, but I am learning.

Let S = {(1,-1,2,1) , (0,1,1,-2) , (1,-3,0,5)}
    Find a subset of S that is a basis for <S>

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I formed a matrix and row reduced it to row echelon form. Then the corresponding columns on the leading entry gives the basis which is {(1,-1,2,1) ,(0,1,1,-2)} . But now, to answer the question, how to find a subset ? and also, what does <S> mean ? Is that a symbol for a basis?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

S is the original set of three vectors. <S> means the subspace spanned by the vectors in S. When you did your matrix exercise you found a basis for the subspace consisting of {(1,-1,2,1) ,(0,1,1,-2)}. That IS a subset of S. You are all done. The question was just to find a basis for the subspaces consisting of vectors from S. That's all.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?