Subset of the Group of Permutations: Subgroup or Not?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question about determining whether two given sets are subgroups of a larger group. The first set, H, is not a subgroup as it is not closed under taking inverses. The second set, K, is a subgroup because it is closed under taking inverses and satisfies other conditions for being a subgroup. The conversation also touches on the assumption of finite sets and the concept of countability in solving the homework question.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, in 5 years of PF'ing and watching over this forum, I am finally posting my first homework question. :tongue2: I'm taking a graduate course in Algebra, and it's been 11 years since I took the undergraduate version. So, I'm going back and doing all the homework exercises in my undergrad book. I'm stuck on this one.

Homework Statement

[itex]S_A[/itex] is the group of all permutations of a set [itex]A[/itex] under permutation multiplication. [itex]B[/itex] is a subset of [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]b[/itex] is a particular element of [itex]B[/itex]. Determine whether the given set is sure to be a subgroup of [itex]S_A[/itex] under the induced operation. Here [itex]\sigma=\{\sigma(x)|x \in B\}[/itex]

And the subsets are...

[itex]H=\{\sigma\in S_A|\sigma\subseteq B\}[/itex]
[itex]K=\{\sigma\in S_A|\sigma=B\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not applicable.

The Attempt at a Solution

First let's consider [itex]H[/itex]. The elements of [itex]H[/itex] are all of the permutations that send the elements of [itex]B[/itex] to a subset of [itex]B[/itex]. To try to grasp this, I considered an example.

Let [itex]A=\{1,2,3,4,5\}[/itex] and [itex]B=\{1,2,3\}[/itex]. Then choose a permutation [itex]\sigma_1[/itex] that satisfies the condition of membership in [itex]H[/itex].

[tex]\sigma_1=\left(\begin{array}{ccccc}1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5\\3 & 1 & 2 & 5 & 4 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

When I look at this, I can't see how [itex]H[/itex] could be anything other than [itex]K[/itex] itself. If the image of [itex]B[/itex] under [itex]\sigma_1[/itex] is anything other than [itex]B[/itex], then it contains elements of [itex]A[/itex] that do not belong to [itex]B[/itex]. Hence, the image would not be a subset of [itex]B[/itex].

The answer in the back of the book says that [itex]H[/itex] is not a subgroup of [itex]S_A[/itex], as it is not closed under taking of inverses. I do not see how that could possibly be right.

I'll leave [itex]K[/itex] alone until I get [itex]H[/itex] sorted out.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tom! Congratulations on your first post! I think your problem is that you are assuming that A and B are finite. They don't have to be.

Eureka! I've got it!

Dick, it's true that I was assuming that the set was finite. But that wasn't my problem. I would get the same result if I had let [itex]A=\mathbb{Z}[/itex], the set of integers. But your comment did get me thinking about other infinite sets, such as the reals.

If I let [itex]A=\mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex] B=[0,1] [/itex], and [itex]\sigma(x)=\frac{1}{2}x[/itex], then the image of [itex]B[/itex] under [itex]\sigma[/itex] is [itex][0,\frac{1}{2}]\subset B[/itex]. But the [itex]\sigma^{-1}(x)=2x[/itex] does not map [itex]B[/itex] onto a subset of itself.

My problem was in fact that I was assuming that the set [itex]A[/itex] is countable. But your comment did knock my noggin loose from being stuck in finite countable sets, so thanks for that. :approve:

That answers my question for [itex]K[/itex] too, so if there are no objections to my reasoning from any math gurus then it looks like I can move on.

Last edited:
It's not a countability issue. Take A to be the integers and B to be the even integers. Then take sigma(k)=2*k on B. Define sigma for the odd integers any which way, so its a bijection with Z-2*B (you know it's possible and the details aren't important). Same problem.

Or just use restrict your example to the rational numbers.

Dick said:
Take A to be the integers and B to be the even integers. Then take sigma(k)=2*k on B. Define sigma for the odd integers any which way, so its a bijection with Z-2*B (you know it's possible and the details aren't important). Same problem.

So it is! I am scraping the rust off slowly but surely...

As long as I've got the attention of you good people...

Tom Mattson said:
[itex]K=\{\sigma\in S_A|\sigma=B\}[/itex]

I would say that [itex]K[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]S_A[/itex] here. Since the domain and the target are the same set ([itex]B[/itex]), and since [itex]\sigma\in K[/itex] is bijective, [itex]K[/itex] is closed under taking of inverses. And of course, it satisfies the other conditions for being a subgroup as well.

Tom Mattson said:
As long as I've got the attention of you good people...

I would say that [itex]K[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]S_A[/itex] here. Since the domain and the target are the same set ([itex]B[/itex]), and since [itex]\sigma\in K[/itex] is bijective, [itex]K[/itex] is closed under taking of inverses. And of course, it satisfies the other conditions for being a subgroup as well.

Sure. What could be wrong with that?

1. What is a subgroup of the group of permutations?

A subgroup of the group of permutations is a subset of the original group that satisfies the defining properties of a group. This means that it is closed under the operation of composition, has an identity element, and every element has an inverse.

2. How can you determine if a subset is a subgroup of the group of permutations?

To determine if a subset is a subgroup of the group of permutations, you can use the subgroup test. This involves checking if the subset is closed under the operation of composition, contains the identity element, and if every element in the subset has an inverse in the subset.

3. Can a subgroup of the group of permutations be a proper subset?

Yes, a subgroup of the group of permutations can be a proper subset. This means that it does not contain all the elements of the original group, but it still satisfies the properties of a group.

4. Is every subset of the group of permutations a subgroup?

No, not every subset of the group of permutations is a subgroup. To be a subgroup, the subset must satisfy the subgroup test. If it fails to meet any of the criteria, then it is not a subgroup.

5. Can a subgroup of the group of permutations have a different order than the original group?

Yes, a subgroup of the group of permutations can have a different order than the original group. The order of a subgroup is the number of elements in the subset, while the order of the original group is the number of elements in the entire group. As long as the subset satisfies the properties of a group, it can have a different order.