Substitution for indef. integral

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation by integrating by parts and applying the substitution rule, but was not able to get the final answer correct.
silicon_hobo

Homework Statement

Hey folks, I think I know how to solve this by parts but I need a substitution to get there. I've been staring at examples for a while but I still don't understand how to apply the substitution rule. Anyway, here's the integral:

[tex]\int x^9cos(x^5)[/tex]

Homework Equations

integration by parts: [tex]\int f(x)g\prime (x)dx=f(x)g(x)-\int g(x)f\prime (x)dx[/tex]
substitution rule: [tex]\int f(g(x))g\prime (x)dx=\int f(u)du[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By applying integration by parts:
[tex]f(x)=x^9[/tex]
[tex]f\prime (x)=9x^{8}[/tex]
[tex]g\prime (x)=cos(x^5)[/tex]

Now I need to apply the substitution rule to find [tex]g(x)[/tex] by integrating [tex]cos(x^5)[/tex]:
[tex]u=x^5[/tex]
[tex]du=5x^4dx[/tex]
Then maybe [tex]sin(u)du[/tex]? I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks!
I've got another post that's still unanswered just in case you've got some more time to kill :wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nooo … if you're going to use substitution, do the substitution first!

(If you do the integrating by parts first, then split it differently - the object is to make it easier!)

As you said, u=x^5 is a good idea … but it's du=5x^4dx.

Then integrate by parts!

What do you get? :smile:

It;s simple , just break x^9 into x^5*x^4 , then take X^5 = t 5x^4dx=dt , therefore integral becomes 5 t cos(t) dt , solve using by parts

Hint: [tex]x^4 \cos(x^5) = \frac{1}{5} \frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm dx} \sin(x^5)[/tex].

Okaaay, here goes:

[tex]x^9sin(u)5x^4dx-\int sin(u)5x^4dx9x^8dx[/tex]

No, you misunderstood the suggestions.

[tex]\int x^9\cos{x^5}dx=\int x^4x^5\cos{x^5}dx[/tex]

[tex]u=x^5[/tex]
[tex]du=5x^4dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac 1 5\int u\cos udu[/tex]

Last edited:
You're doing a substitution first! Then you will apply Parts.

u=x^5, so replace all x^5 with u
du=5x^4dx, so x^4dx appears in your original Integral, so that goes away.

ahhha, ok. I'll be back!

silicon_hobo said:
ahhha, ok. I'll be back!
Got it? You need to review if you're not getting it. This should be beyond you! First step is Calc 1!

Yeah, I did cal 1 years ago so I'm sort of reviewing points from it as I slam up against them. I have been looking at substitution examples for a while but I need to grind through a few problems to shake the rust off. I think this one is coming along now though. I'll be back with an answer.

[tex]\frac{1}{5}[u(sin(u))-(cos(u)+C)][/tex] getting warmer?

Almost! Don't forget that ...

[tex]\int sin xdx=-\cos x+C[/tex]

[tex]\frac 1 5 (x^5\sin x^5+\cos x^5)+C[/tex]

Does it matter whether the C is inside or outside the brackets?

No it doesn't. One fifth of an arbitrary real constant is still an arbitrary real constant isn't it.

What is substitution for indefinite integral?

Substitution for indefinite integral is a technique used in calculus to simplify and solve integrals. It involves replacing a variable with a new variable or expression in order to make the integral easier to solve.

When should I use substitution for indefinite integral?

Substitution for indefinite integral should be used when the integral contains a complicated function or expression that is difficult to integrate directly. It can also be used to simplify integrals that contain trigonometric functions or radicals.

How do I choose the substitution variable?

In most cases, the substitution variable should be chosen to be equal to the function inside the integral. However, if there is no clear choice, you can try different substitutions until you find one that works.

What is the general process for using substitution for indefinite integral?

The general process for using substitution for indefinite integral is as follows:

1. Identify a complicated function or expression inside the integral.
  2. Choose an appropriate substitution variable.
  3. Substitute the variable and rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable.
  4. Solve the integral using basic integration techniques.
  5. Substitute the original variable back into the solution.

Can substitution for indefinite integral be used to solve all integrals?

No, substitution for indefinite integral is not always the best technique for solving integrals. It is most effective when the integral contains a complicated function or expression that can be simplified by substitution. Other techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fractions, may be more appropriate for certain types of integrals.