1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sudden barrier removal to half harmonic oscillator

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is in the ground state of a half harmonic oscillator (V=m/2 w^2 x^2 x>0, and infinity x<0). At t=0, the barrier at x=0 is suddenly removed. Find the possible energy measurements as a function of time and the wavefunction for all times.

2. Relevant equations
    <H> = <psi|H|psi>, |psi(t)>=Ʃexp(-i*H*t/hbar)|psin(t)> cn

3. The attempt at a solution
    At t=0, the wavefunction is in the 1st excited state of the full harmonic oscillator, and due to normalization in the half harmonic oscillator, the ground state of the half HO is √2 times the first excited state for the full one. Thus, |psi(0)> = 1/2^0.5 * |psi1>, and so cn=0 for n≠1 and cn=1/√2 for n=1. We then have |psi(t)> = 1/2^0.5 * |psi1> * exp(-i*(3/2 hb w)t/hb). So, |psi(t)> = 1/2^0.5 * |psi1> * exp(-i*(3/2 w)t). This doesn't seem right to me, since the particle is in such a trivial linear combination of states, but I don't see where I have gone wrong, and it makes sense that the expected energy is unchanged. So, can someone point out if there is a mistake? The possible energies to be measured are only 3/2 hbar w, since the particle is in a trivial superposition of just |psi1>

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The mistake you're making is assuming the system is in the first excited state of the harmonic oscillator. Its wave function isn't [itex]\psi_1(x)[/itex]; it's actually
    [tex]\psi(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{ll}\psi_1(x) & \mathrm{if}~x>0 \\ 0 & \mathrm{if}~x \le 0\end{array}\right.[/tex]at t=0 (up to normalization).

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    Thanks, that's true. But still for x>0, psi is just psi1, and for x<0, since the Hermite polynomials are linearly independent, no non-trivial linear combination of them can be equal to zero. So, the energy eigenvalue is still only 3/2 hbar w, then?

Thanks,

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, that's not correct. You would get only the trivial solution if the linear combination were equal to 0 for all x.

6. Oct 12, 2011 #5
    Ok, so we need to express psi in a basis of the eigenfunctions of the SHO Hamiltonian. for x>0, it is simple as psi1. For x<0, we can't construct a non-trivial linear combination of Hermite polynomials to be zero. So, how can we express psi as nontrivial for x<0.

7. Oct 12, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can't look at it x<0 and x>0 separately. The same expansion has to hold for all x.

8. Oct 13, 2011 #7
    Thanks again,

Can we say psi(x) = psi1(x)/T(x), where T(x) = infinity for x<0 and T(x)=1 for x>0. psi(x) is itself still continuous, but then psi'(x) is not, so I guess not.

But, unless the coefficients themselves are functions of x, I don't see how it would be possible to construct an expansion valid for all x.

9. Oct 13, 2011 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Think Fourier series. It's the same idea.

You have the state [itex]\vert \psi \rangle[/itex], and you want to expand it in terms of the eigenstates [itex]\vert 0 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\vert 1 \rangle[/itex], [itex]\vert 2 \rangle[/itex], etc.
    [tex]\vert \psi \rangle = c_0 \vert 0 \rangle + c_1 \vert 1 \rangle + c_2 \vert 2 \rangle + \cdots[/tex]To solve for cn, you take advantage of the orthonormality of the eigenstates:
    [tex]\langle n \vert \psi \rangle = c_0\langle n \vert 0 \rangle + c_1\langle n \vert 1 \rangle + c_2\langle n \vert 2 \rangle + \cdots = c_n [/tex]To connect this back to the wave functions, insert a complete set to get
    [tex]c_n = \langle n \vert \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx\,\langle n \vert x\rangle\langle x \vert \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \phi_n^*(x)\psi(x)\,dx[/tex]where [itex]\phi_n(x)[/itex] is the eigenfunction for the nth state.

10. Oct 13, 2011 #9
    Right, but the above integral reduces then to Integral from 0 to inf. of phin* psi(x) dx, since psi(x)=0 for x<0 and psi(x) is phi1 for x>0, and so all cn are zero except c1, since the above integral is the inner product of two elements of an L^2 Inner product space, and we are considering inner product of basis elements of that space, which are orthogonal. Is there some mistake?

11. Oct 13, 2011 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The orthogonality relation for the Hermite polynomials only holds when you integrate the polynomials from -infinity to infinity. It doesn't hold when you integrate from 0 to infinity. For instance, with H0(x)=1 and H1(x)=2x, you get
    [tex]\int_0^\infty H_0(x)H_1(x)e^{-x^2}\,dx = \int_0^\infty 2xe^{-x^2}\,dx=1[/tex]whereas
    [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty H_0(x)H_1(x)e^{-x^2}\,dx = \int_{-\infty}^\infty 2xe^{-x^2}\,dx=0[/tex]

12. Oct 14, 2011 #11
    Of course! Thanks again, I can solve it from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook