1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sudden Perturbation Approximation Question

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a beta decay H3 -> He3+, use the sudden perturbation approximation to determine the probability of that an electron initially in the 1s state of H3 will end up in the |n=16,l=3,m=0> state of He3+

2. Relevant equations
    |<n'l'm'|nlm>|^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I actually know the answer to this but I am not clear as to why and I am wondering if there is an easier way to determine the solution.

The answer comes out to be 0. When integrating the wavefunctions |n'l'm'> and |nlm> in spherical coordinates to calculate the inner product (i.e. the probability amplitude), the integral over [tex] d\theta[/tex] returns 0. Is there an easier way to see this other than going through the calculations?

How is this result interpreted?

Thanks,

jsc

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The spherical harmonics are orthonormal so <l' m' | l m> is zero unless l=l' and m= m'. Clearly here the result is zero since |3,0> is orthogonal to |0,0>

Physically, it simply says that a particle in an s state has no angular momentum so the probability of it being observed with l=3 is zero. The sudden approximation simply assumes that the transition was so quick that the orbital angular momentum of the electron remained unchanged.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  4. May 13, 2008 #3
    Thanks nrged.

That makes it clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?