1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions for a beginning researcher.

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    What advice will you give to someone who starts as a graduate student (theoretical works) but since supervisor is rarely available for consultation, have to take the responsibility of making progress alone. Frankly I am in such a situation and even though I work a lot, I find I am making very little progress in actual research. I am reading lots of papers, books and journals but I realize I have not done much research. Whenever I find some interesting new idea or some new formulation I can not resist myself and immediately start reading and learning that. This way though I have learned much, I have done very little research. I am looking for useful suggestions from experienced researchers. How should those work practically alone, proceed to become a good researcher?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2

eri

Either get your adviser to make the time for you (try suggesting a weekly meeting) or pick a new adviser. If you're not making much progress on your own and don't know how to start making progress, you need a supervisor - most grad students do. And the longer you go without a useful one, the longer you'll be in grad school.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook