• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Suggestions for research topics for M.Sc. in Nuclear Power Engineering

• Thread starter Guan
  • Start date
Summary: Suggestion on experimental research related to reactor for master's degree dissertation.

Summary: Suggestion on experimental research related to reactor for master's degree dissertation.

I have just started my master's degree course in Nuclear Power Engineering and decided to conduct my master's research work related to reactor.
I'm thinking about doing experimental hands-on research such as neutron measurement etc. in my school's research reactor.
I would like to ask for opinion for what scopes of hands-on research can be conducted related to reactor?
I didn't really study in-depth and don't really have experience working with nuclear reactor during my undergraduate study, but I did study some basic about neutron physics and reactor kinetic in some courses. Since I didn't have exposure to nuclear reactor, I would like to learn more and gain more experience regarding reactor during my study in master's degree research.

Any other suggestions or inputs would be greatly appreciated.

DEvens

Education Advisor
Gold Member
You should really be talking to the staff at the reactor. And to the prof who will be supervising your work.

You need an experiment that can be done on your equipment. That won't be a risk to the public, to the staff at the reactor, or to you. And won't damage the reactor. And that some techie is willing and able to support.

And the prof should have something to say about what kind of research is appropriate for your master's work. And what work might fit in with his research program. Or with work some other student might be doing. It should be a reasonable level of difficulty for such a degree. Even if the reactor people agree, he should be consulted.

Likely somebody has to pay for your time on the reactor. And you being there probably means somebody else can't be. So you need agreement from whoever is paying. Probably through the help of the prof or the reactor staff.

Every time you do anything around a reactor you must round up these people and convince them it's a good idea. Or they won't let you in the door. It's a tough group to satisfy. But satisfying them is going to be one of the valuable experiences if you are going to be in nuclear. It's an experience I have a couple times per week.