Suggestions for a physics masters dissertation in geometry.

In summary, the speaker is currently studying for a one year postgrad MSc in Theoretical Physics and has a background in general relativity and differential geometry. They are attending lectures on Quantum Field Theory and Group Theory and have a three month project for their degree. They are interested in studying noncommutative geometry for a PhD and are seeking suggestions for a dissertation topic that involves geometry in a physical setting. They are also provided with a link to a website and a paper for potential ideas.
sox
Hi,

I am currently studying for a one year postgrad MSc in Theoretical Physics.

In my undergraduate physics degree, my dissertation was on general relativity, so I got a taste of differential geometry and manifolds which I really enjoyed.

At the moment I'm currently attending lectures on different areas of physics. One of the classes is on Quantum Field Theory and another is on Group Theory.

During the summer I have a three month project to do as part of this degree.

I am interested in studying noncommutative geometry for a PhD, and really need to show I have some grounding in geometry if my application is to be taken seriously.

Could anyone suggest an area I might look at for my dissertation that involves geometry set within a physical setting (such as QFT)?

Help appreciated as always,
Sox.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been told (but do not know personally) that Yang-Mills theory can be formulated very geometrically similarly to GR.

1. What is the relevance of a physics masters dissertation in geometry?

A physics masters dissertation in geometry is relevant for those who are interested in applying geometric principles to the study of physical phenomena. It allows for a deeper understanding of how geometry plays a role in the laws of physics and can be used to solve complex problems.

2. What are some potential topics for a physics masters dissertation in geometry?

Some potential topics for a physics masters dissertation in geometry include the role of geometry in quantum mechanics, applications of differential geometry in general relativity, and the use of geometric methods in studying fluid dynamics.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in both physics and geometry for this type of dissertation?

While a strong background in both subjects can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many programs offer courses and resources to help students bridge any gaps in their knowledge. It is important to have a basic understanding of both subjects before pursuing a dissertation in this area.

4. What are some potential career paths for those who have completed a physics masters dissertation in geometry?

Completing a physics masters dissertation in geometry can open up a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the university level, or working in fields such as aerospace engineering, computer graphics, or data analysis.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a physics masters dissertation in geometry?

The length of time it takes to complete a physics masters dissertation in geometry can vary depending on the individual program and the chosen topic. On average, it can take 1-2 years to complete the coursework and research necessary for the dissertation, with an additional 6-12 months for writing and defending the dissertation itself.