1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestions for College-Level Geometry books?

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    I am not currently taking a Geometry class, but I've always been interested in Geometry and I'm now looking for a good College-Level Geometry book. All the ones I have checked out from my school's library claim to be College-Level, but mostly talk about subjects I remember learning about in High School Geometry. Any suggestions on good Geometry books that focus on subjects beyond what you learn in High School?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i recommend euclid plus hartshorne's Geometry: euclid and beyond. he teaches the college course at berkeley from those. or look on my webpage for a free set of notes from "epsilon camp"

they seem to start easy but may get harder (they end with finding the volume of a 4 dimensional ball).

http://www.math.uga.edu/~roy/camp2011/10.pdf [Broken]

or try a book by john stillwell or david henderson.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Thank you! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or how about Geometry and Topology by Reid and S. ?

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's also Isaacs' Geometry for College Students. I haven't read it, but his books on abstract algebra and finite group theory are excellent, so I expect this one should be very good as well.

7. Oct 24, 2012 #6
    Coxeter's Geometry Revisited and Moise's Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint.

8. Oct 25, 2012 #7
    I also enjoyed Coxeter's Introduction to Geometry. It covers a range of topics pretty well. The prereqs for understanding this book aren't high, but somehow it gets difficult as soon as you look at the exercises.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook