Suggestions for Quantum Computation Ph.D Program?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's plans to apply to graduate schools in the field of quantum computation, quantum information, and quantum optics, which often fall under the category of AMO (Atomic, Molecular, and Optics). They have already found several suitable programs and are looking for suggestions for other programs in the Northeast. The speaker also mentions the importance of having a strong GPA, high PGRE score, relevant research experience, and strong letters of recommendation for top schools like MIT and Harvard. They also discuss the possibility of applying to physics or applied physics departments for more flexibility.
EJC
I am going to be applying to grad schools in the coming months, and plan to apply to many schools. I'm looking for programs in quantum computation, quantum information, quantum optics, etc... (related research often falls under many different names). These programs generally are categorized in AMO (Atomic, Molecular, and Optics). I have been looking at programs for a while now, and have found quite a lot of suitable programs.

My reason for posting is that I'd like to know about any other that I may have not come across yet. Because related research in this field often falls under different categories than AMO, I want to make sure I have as seen as many programs as possible. For example, I work at a research lab right now, and a researcher who works in quantum computing is applying to RIT for a Ph.D in nanoscale engineering because it is obviously applicable.

Schools I have seen and will most likely apply to:
University of Rochester (1st choice as of right now)
Cornell University
Stony Brook University
SUNY Albany (Safety - my application is very good, but I haven't yet taken the PGRE and they do not require it)
MIT & Harvard (why not?)
Northeastern
Dartmouth
University of Wisconsin Madison
University of Maryland College Park

Are there any other graduate programs that people would suggest for programs in quantum information/quantum optics or related fields? I should note that I'd like to stay in the Northeast, but this is not necessarily a requirement.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope you have a great GPA (> 3.8), high PGRE score (> 80th percentile), relevant research experience, and great letters of recommendation to apply to MIT and Harvard.

Thanks for the implicit casting of doubt, but, aside from the PGRE score (which I haven't yet taken), I do.

Schools like Harvard, Stanford, and MIT, they care most about research experience and letters so that needs to be very strong.

As far as GPA or recommendations, it's ok if you have a week spot (like weaker grades in freshman courses) if research and letters are truly outstanding. Contrary to popular belief, there are people who get into those schools with lower than a 3.8 and 80% on the PGRE but that is because they have really proven themselves to be great researchers.

Princeton's Electrical Engineering department has a few professors who do Quantum Information research, my reu topic here is in that field and all the graduate students who are in my mentors group were physics undergraduates

Likes EJC
I think it may be best to apply to physics or applied physics departments since I think that would give you more flexibility. I know in my program you can work with people in a lot of different departments. I assume you can do this at Princeton as well.

Likes EJC
University of New Mexico has a good program in the field.

Likes EJC

1. What is the purpose of a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program?

The purpose of a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program is to train students in the theoretical and practical aspects of quantum computing, including quantum algorithms, quantum information theory, and quantum hardware. This program prepares students for careers in research, academia, and industry in the rapidly growing field of quantum computing.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program?

Admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but typically, applicants should have a strong background in mathematics, computer science, and physics. They may also be required to submit GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require applicants to have previous research experience in quantum computing.

3. Can students with no background in quantum computing apply for a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program?

While having a background in quantum computing can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for admission. Some programs may offer bridge courses for students with no previous experience in quantum computing. However, having a solid foundation in mathematics and computer science is essential for success in a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program.

4. What research opportunities are available in a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program?

Quantum computing is a rapidly evolving field, and there are many research opportunities available in areas such as quantum algorithms, quantum information theory, quantum error correction, and quantum hardware development. Students in a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects and collaborate with experts in the field.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program?

Graduates of a Quantum Computation Ph.D Program have a wide range of career opportunities in both academia and industry. They can pursue careers as researchers, professors, or engineers at universities, research institutes, or companies working on quantum computing. They may also choose to start their own quantum computing companies or work in other fields that require knowledge of quantum computing, such as cybersecurity and finance.