1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applying for Ph.D program in physics and got 166 quant GRE

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    I got a 166 on the quant section of my GRE today. I also took the PGRE and believe I did quite well on it, at least 900+. Is a score of 166 on the quant section considered good for someone applying for a physics Ph.D program or can anything short of a 170 hurt my application?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2
    Grad school applications depend on the whole package. Grades in BS program, reputation of BS program, research, recommendations, publications, etc.

It's not a disaster, but it won't pave the way into theoretical physics at a top 10 school. Experimentalists won't worry a bit about it.

4. Oct 29, 2015 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

166 is probably somewhere in the mid 90th percentile for physics applicants/maybe low 90's for math majors. Or in other language, you're stressing for no good reason.

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And this is maybe the fourth or fifth thread you've posted that's stressing for no good reason. If stress bothers you that much, I think you might want to consider whether science is really the right career for you. You can wait two years for telescope time - and then have it rain. You can work on a detector for a decade, only to have the accelerator blow up. Or the detector catch fire. You can be on the verge of making an important calculation - only to find someone beat you to it. You can have a grant application or a paper in limbo for months, with nobody at the agency or journal having any explanation. This is all part of the job. If you find the application process this stressful, will you be happy with a career with an order of magnitude more stress?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook