Applying for Ph.D program in physics and got 166 quant GRE

In summary: Grad school applications depend on the whole package. Grades in BS program, reputation of BS program, research, recommendations, publications, etc. It's not a disaster, but it won't pave the way into theoretical physics at a top 10 school. Experimentalists won't worry a bit about it. 166 is probably somewhere in the mid 90th percentile for physics applicants/maybe low 90's for math majors. Or in other language, you're stressing for no good reason.
xdrgnh
I got a 166 on the quant section of my GRE today. I also took the PGRE and believe I did quite well on it, at least 900+. Is a score of 166 on the quant section considered good for someone applying for a physics Ph.D program or can anything short of a 170 hurt my application?

Physics news on Phys.org
xdrgnh said:
I got a 166 on the quant section of my GRE today. I also took the PGRE and believe I did quite well on it, at least 900+. Is a score of 166 on the quant section considered good for someone applying for a physics Ph.D program or can anything short of a 170 hurt my application?

Grad school applications depend on the whole package. Grades in BS program, reputation of BS program, research, recommendations, publications, etc.

It's not a disaster, but it won't pave the way into theoretical physics at a top 10 school. Experimentalists won't worry a bit about it.

xdrgnh said:

166 is probably somewhere in the mid 90th percentile for physics applicants/maybe low 90's for math majors. Or in other language, you're stressing for no good reason.

Student100 said:
Or in other language, you're stressing for no good reason.

And this is maybe the fourth or fifth thread you've posted that's stressing for no good reason. If stress bothers you that much, I think you might want to consider whether science is really the right career for you. You can wait two years for telescope time - and then have it rain. You can work on a detector for a decade, only to have the accelerator blow up. Or the detector catch fire. You can be on the verge of making an important calculation - only to find someone beat you to it. You can have a grant application or a paper in limbo for months, with nobody at the agency or journal having any explanation. This is all part of the job. If you find the application process this stressful, will you be happy with a career with an order of magnitude more stress?

Likes member 692476

1. What is the minimum GRE score required for admission to a Ph.D program in physics?

The minimum GRE score requirement for admission to a Ph.D program in physics varies among universities. However, a score of 166 in the quantitative section is considered to be above average and may increase your chances of being accepted into a program.

2. Is having a high GRE score the only factor that determines admission to a Ph.D program in physics?

No, GRE scores are just one part of the application process. Ph.D programs also consider factors such as letters of recommendation, research experience, personal statement, and undergraduate transcripts when making admission decisions. A strong overall application is essential for gaining admission to a Ph.D program in physics.

3. Can a low GRE score prevent me from being accepted into a Ph.D program in physics?

A low GRE score may decrease your chances of being accepted into a Ph.D program in physics, but it is not the only factor that is considered. If you have a strong overall application, including research experience and good letters of recommendation, a low GRE score may not be a significant factor in your admission decision.

4. Do all Ph.D programs in physics require the GRE?

No, not all Ph.D programs in physics require the GRE. Some programs may have their own standardized tests or may not require any standardized test scores at all. It is important to research the specific requirements of each program you are interested in applying to.

5. Is it possible to retake the GRE to improve my score?

Yes, it is possible to retake the GRE to improve your score. However, it is important to carefully consider your reasons for retaking the exam and to adequately prepare for it. Some programs may also consider your highest score, while others may consider all of your scores. Check with the specific programs you are applying to for their policies on multiple GRE scores.