Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suicide Rabbits!

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    I was driving home at 1AM and there's a dead rabbit in the road--on all fours.

Belatedly I hit the brakes, and the rabbit ended up somewhere under the front bumber. Dead rabbits don't sit on 4 legs do they?

I backed up. The dead rabbit didn't move.
    I pulled up along side. The rabbit didn't move.
    I opened the door and looked at it. The rabbit glanced back, then looked another way.
    I shut the door and left.

A suicidal rabbit?
    A thrill seeking rabbit?
    A rabbit looking for God in the middle of a road?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whilst not particularly relevant to your question, but funny all the same: http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/suicide-bunny-p1.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    Ha! Awfully appropriate perhaps. Some many young rabbits seem not so interested in doing the rabbit thing.

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4
    Must be Bugs Bunny, nobody can run him over ;)

6. Apr 14, 2009 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww I forgot about them. Proof that childish doodling in school can one day make you money.

7. Apr 14, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quite perplexing as we all know that rabbits understand the dangers of automobiles. :biggrin:

My theory is that he intended to bite your tires and give you a flat. That would teach you not to drive on his bed.

8. Apr 14, 2009 #7
    I knew when I read the forum line that somebody would get this posted! :biggrin:

9. Apr 15, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Rather than suicide, I rather think the rabbit was startled. This seems to be a defense mechanism. A rabbit will sit frozen hoping you haven't seen him if startled. At night headlights also tend to blind them I suppose.

Lyndon Johnson used to go rabbit hunting at night from a jeep on his ranch as I recall. Hardly a sporting proposition since the reflection of their eyes are like a sign that says "shoot here" as they sit still thinking they can't be seen.

Hitting one on the run on the other hand is a pretty good shot, if not a lucky one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook