Why Did This Rabbit Choose Suicide on the Road?

• Thread starter Phrak
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a person driving home at 1AM and encountering a dead rabbit in the road. There were speculations about the rabbit's strange behavior and whether it was a suicidal or thrill-seeking rabbit. The conversation also included humorous anecdotes and theories about rabbits and their behavior.
Phrak
I was driving home at 1AM and there's a dead rabbit in the road--on all fours.

Belatedly I hit the brakes, and the rabbit ended up somewhere under the front bumber. Dead rabbits don't sit on 4 legs do they?

I backed up. The dead rabbit didn't move.
I pulled up along side. The rabbit didn't move.
I opened the door and looked at it. The rabbit glanced back, then looked another way.
I shut the door and left.

A suicidal rabbit?
A thrill seeking rabbit?
A rabbit looking for God in the middle of a road?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whilst not particularly relevant to your question, but funny all the same: http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/suicide-bunny-p1.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! Awfully appropriate perhaps. Some many young rabbits seem not so interested in doing the rabbit thing.

Must be Bugs Bunny, nobody can run him over ;)

Hootenanny said:
Whilst not particularly relevant to your question, but funny all the same: http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/suicide-bunny-p1.php

Aww I forgot about them. Proof that childish doodling in school can one day make you money.

Phrak said:
I was driving home at 1AM and there's a dead rabbit in the road--on all fours.

Belatedly I hit the brakes, and the rabbit ended up somewhere under the front bumber. Dead rabbits don't sit on 4 legs do they?

I backed up. The dead rabbit didn't move.
I pulled up along side. The rabbit didn't move.
I opened the door and looked at it. The rabbit glanced back, then looked another way.
I shut the door and left.

A suicidal rabbit?
A thrill seeking rabbit?
A rabbit looking for God in the middle of a road?

Quite perplexing as we all know that rabbits understand the dangers of automobiles. :biggrin:

My theory is that he intended to bite your tires and give you a flat. That would teach you not to drive on his bed.

Hootenanny said:

I knew when I read the forum line that somebody would get this posted! :biggrin:

Rather than suicide, I rather think the rabbit was startled. This seems to be a defense mechanism. A rabbit will sit frozen hoping you haven't seen him if startled. At night headlights also tend to blind them I suppose.

Lyndon Johnson used to go rabbit hunting at night from a jeep on his ranch as I recall. Hardly a sporting proposition since the reflection of their eyes are like a sign that says "shoot here" as they sit still thinking they can't be seen.

Hitting one on the run on the other hand is a pretty good shot, if not a lucky one.

FAQ: Why Did This Rabbit Choose Suicide on the Road?

What are "Suicide Rabbits"?

"Suicide Rabbits" is a term used to describe rabbits that have been infected with a deadly disease or virus and are intentionally released into an area in order to spread the disease to other animal populations.

How are "Suicide Rabbits" used in scientific research?

"Suicide Rabbits" are often used in medical and biological research to study the spread and effects of diseases in animal populations. By intentionally infecting rabbits with a disease and observing how it spreads and affects other animals, scientists can gain valuable insights into disease transmission and potential treatments.

Is using "Suicide Rabbits" ethical?

The use of "Suicide Rabbits" in scientific research is a highly debated topic. While some argue that it is necessary for advancing medical and biological knowledge, others believe it is cruel and inhumane to intentionally infect animals with deadly diseases. The ethical implications of using "Suicide Rabbits" should be carefully considered before conducting any research.

Can "Suicide Rabbits" pose a threat to human populations?

While "Suicide Rabbits" are intentionally infected with diseases that can be harmful to other animals, there is currently no evidence to suggest that they pose a threat to human populations. However, it is important for researchers to follow strict safety protocols and containment measures to prevent any potential risks.

Are there any alternatives to using "Suicide Rabbits" in research?

Yes, there are alternative methods for studying disease transmission and effects on animal populations. These include computer simulations, in vitro studies, and non-invasive techniques such as tracking and observing natural outbreaks. However, the use of "Suicide Rabbits" may still be necessary in some cases to fully understand the complexities of disease transmission.

Back