1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of a vector parallel and orthogonal to.

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    v = 3i - j u = 2i + j - 3k
    Express vector u as a sum of a vector parallel to v and a vector orthogonal to v.

2. Relevant equations
    Proj of u onto v = [ (u • v) / |v|^2 ]v
    Expressing vector u as sum of a vector parappel to v and a vector vector orthogonal to v
    >> u = [Proj of u onto v] + u

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the projection of vector u onto v which is [1/2](3i - j) then added it to vector u = 2i + j - 3k to get
    u = [7/2] i + [1/2] j - 3 k <<==>> Vector u expressed as the sum of a vector parallel to v and orthogonal to v.

I would like to receive assistance to assure that what I've done works.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I will use the notation Pu for the projection of u onto the 1-dimensional subspace spanned by v. You're saying that u=Pu+u. But that would mean that Pu=0 (since you can cancel u from both sides).

If u=Pu+w, then what is w? (I think you will find that the answer is automatically orthogonal to v).

4. Sep 23, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply. I believe I've found it and the check I used enhances the answer I got. Instead of just Pu + w, I did, w - Pu to get an orthogonal vector to v. The dot product of (w - Pu) with vector v came out with a scalar of 0, which proves it's orthogonal.

5. Sep 24, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, if you solve u=Pu+w, you get w=u-Pu, and this vector is orthogonal to v.

If P is any linear operator, you can write u=Pu+(1-P)u. If P is the orthogonal projection onto some subspace M, then Pu will be an element of M, and (1-P)u will be orthogonal to every element of M.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted