Sum of a vector parallel and orthogonal to.

In summary: The notation (1-P) is just a shortcut for the operator that takes any vector u and subtracts from it the component of u that lies in M.
Differentiate1

Homework Statement

v = 3i - j u = 2i + j - 3k
Express vector u as a sum of a vector parallel to v and a vector orthogonal to v.

Homework Equations

Proj of u onto v = [ (u • v) / |v|^2 ]v
Expressing vector u as sum of a vector parappel to v and a vector vector orthogonal to v
>> u = [Proj of u onto v] + u

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the projection of vector u onto v which is [1/2](3i - j) then added it to vector u = 2i + j - 3k to get
u = [7/2] i + [1/2] j - 3 k <<==>> Vector u expressed as the sum of a vector parallel to v and orthogonal to v.

I would like to receive assistance to assure that what I've done works.

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate1 said:

Homework Statement

v = 3i - j u = 2i + j - 3k
Express vector u as a sum of a vector parallel to v and a vector orthogonal to v.

Homework Equations

Proj of u onto v = [ (u • v) / |v|^2 ]v
Expressing vector u as sum of a vector parappel to v and a vector vector orthogonal to v
>> u = [Proj of u onto v] + u

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the projection of vector u onto v which is [1/2](3i - j) then added it to vector u = 2i + j - 3k to get
u = [7/2] i + [1/2] j - 3 k <<==>> Vector u expressed as the sum of a vector parallel to v and orthogonal to v.

I would like to receive assistance to assure that what I've done works.
I will use the notation Pu for the projection of u onto the 1-dimensional subspace spanned by v. You're saying that u=Pu+u. But that would mean that Pu=0 (since you can cancel u from both sides).

If u=Pu+w, then what is w? (I think you will find that the answer is automatically orthogonal to v).

Thanks for the reply. I believe I've found it and the check I used enhances the answer I got. Instead of just Pu + w, I did, w - Pu to get an orthogonal vector to v. The dot product of (w - Pu) with vector v came out with a scalar of 0, which proves it's orthogonal.

Right, if you solve u=Pu+w, you get w=u-Pu, and this vector is orthogonal to v.

If P is any linear operator, you can write u=Pu+(1-P)u. If P is the orthogonal projection onto some subspace M, then Pu will be an element of M, and (1-P)u will be orthogonal to every element of M.

1. What is a vector parallel to a given vector?

A vector parallel to a given vector has the same direction and magnitude as the given vector, but can have a different starting point.

2. How do you find the sum of a vector parallel to another vector?

The sum of a vector parallel to another vector can be found by adding the corresponding components of the two vectors. For example, if vector A is (3,4) and vector B is (1,2), the sum of a vector parallel to A and B would be (4,6).

3. What is a vector orthogonal to a given vector?

A vector orthogonal to a given vector has a direction that is perpendicular to the direction of the given vector.

4. How do you find the sum of a vector orthogonal to another vector?

The sum of a vector orthogonal to another vector can be found by finding the dot product of the two vectors and then subtracting the dot product from the given vector. For example, if vector A is (3,4) and vector B is (1,2), the sum of a vector orthogonal to A and B would be (3,4) - (1,2) = (2,2).

5. How can vector addition be used to find the components of a vector parallel and orthogonal to another vector?

Vector addition can be used to find the components of a vector parallel and orthogonal to another vector by breaking down the given vector into its parallel and orthogonal components and then adding them to the corresponding components of the other vector. This can be represented mathematically as vector A = vector parallel + vector orthogonal.