1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof regarding orthogonal projections onto spans

1. Sep 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let U be the span of k vectors, {u1, ... ,uk} and Pu be the orthogonal projection onto U. Let V be the span of l vectors, {v1, ... vl} and Pv be the orthogonal projection onto V. Let X be the span of {u1, ..., uk, v1, ... vl} and Px be the orthogonal projection onto X.

Show Px*y = Pu*y + Pv*y if and only if the space U is orthogonal to the space V (for all y in R^n).

I'm having trouble on both sides of this if and only if proof. Any help? thanks.

2. Relevant equations

See above

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm a bit lost - this seems intuitive but i'm having trouble processing it...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2
    Just to get some insight, start with a simple case. Take R3 as your underlying space and let U and V each be 1 dimensional. So each is a line. Pu is on the U line and Pv is on the V line. What is the subspace X spanned by the basis vectors of U and V? ? If y is in X can you see why the theorem would be true in this case? Consider 3 possibilities: y is in U, y is in V or y is in neither.

To generalize, consider the composition of y in X. The u's and v's are the basis of X, so you can express y in terms of those basis vectors. If you do that, and think about the situation in the above paragraph, perhaps you can get started.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted