1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of an infinite alternating series

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    I am having trouble finding [tex]\sum \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2} [/tex]. (from n=1 to n=infinity)

I know that [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] is [tex]\frac{\pi^2}{6} [/tex]. But the sum I need is slightly different than that, it is alternating....

Any ideas/help would be appreciated! Thx

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

The only hint I can give is that the series do converge, since [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}=lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{(n+1)^2}}{\frac{(-1)^n}{n^2}}=lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{-n^2}{(n+1)^2}=-1 < 1[/tex], considering d'Alembert's criteria...

4. Sep 8, 2006 #3
    EDIT: Forget what I said. Mistake.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  5. Sep 8, 2006 #4

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint-find the sum of the even terms of this series.

6. Sep 8, 2006 #5
    and then subtract the odd terms? I must admit I dont know how to sum that series.... When I took calc 2 we only really tested for convergence and divergence.... And Im pouring through my book (stewert 4th ed) and all I see is convergence and divergence, the only sums in my book are pre given (like the one you quoted me on)

7. Sep 8, 2006 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I feel your pain. That book is terrible for learning anything that is formal.

EDIT: Follow shmoe's hint and after that a little algebra should do the rest.

8. Sep 8, 2006 #7
    Ok, I think i got it....

I find the sum of the even terms, which is the sum [tex]\sum\frac{1}{(2n)^2}[/tex] which equals [tex]\frac{\pi^2}{24}[/tex]. I then subtract the even terms from the total and get [tex]\frac{3\pi^2}{24}[/tex]

Im thinking this is right, but if someone could verify it for me I would appreciate it, and THX so much for the help

EDIT- No, I think I did it backwards. My odd terms are negative, so I need to subtract the odd terms sum from the even terms sum, giving me [tex]-\frac{3\pi^2}{24}[/tex]

9. Sep 8, 2006 #8

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Close! This is what you get when you subract the whole sum from the sum of just the even terms. But what is left in this sum?

You took

[tex]\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{4^2}+\frac{1}{6^2}+\ldots[/tex]

and subtracted

[tex]\frac{1}{1^2}+\frac{1}{2^2}+\frac{1}{3^2}+\ldots[/tex]

What terms remain?

10. Sep 8, 2006 #9
    Ok, try again...

what i did was take the even terms and subtract the whole sum... which is not what i wanted.

what I wanted was the even terms minus the odd terms. So I find the odd terms by taking the whole sum minus the even terms.

Then I subtract the odd terms from the even terms and get [tex]\frac{-\pi^2}{12}[/tex]

God I hope that is right... I have spent alot of time and it is due soon (via internet)

Thx for your help and feed back!! Is [tex]\frac{-\pi^2}{12}[/tex] right?!?

11. Sep 8, 2006 #10

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's good!

It's not strictly necessary to find the sum of the odd terms, you can also take 2 times the even terms and then subtract the whole series. Nothing wrong with finding the sum of the odd terms of course, but a (very slightly) different view might be usefull to see.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?