1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of the square roots of the first n natural numbers

1. Aug 2, 2006 #1
    Is there a way to find the,"Sum of the square roots of the first n natural numbers"?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't think you could do it exactly. You could approximate it by the integral of [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], and get a bound on the error.

4. Aug 2, 2006 #3
    As StatusX says I'm pretty sure there's no way to do in exactly in closed-form. If you don't have a way to calculate square roots at all (ie. you're doing it without a calculator and don't want to go through an approximation method), then a simple integer approximation would be

[tex]\frac{2}{3}\lfloor \sqrt{n} \rfloor^3 - \frac{1}{2}\lfloor \sqrt{n} \rfloor^2 - \frac{1}{6} \lfloor \sqrt{n} \rfloor + \lfloor \sqrt{n} \rfloor(n-\lfloor \sqrt{n} \rfloor^2),[/tex]

but it's not very good. The integral approximation [itex]\frac{2}{3} n^{\frac{3}{2}}[/itex] is much better, but you have to be able to compute [itex]n^{3/2}[/itex]
    ([itex]2/3 \lfloor n^{3/2}\rfloor[/itex] is also better than the one I gave above though).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?