Sum of two EM waves with same phase and amplitude but different frequencies

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
fluidistic
Gold Member
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
286

Homework Statement


Describe the sum of two EM waves that have the same initial phase and same amplitude but different frequencies such that [tex]\omega _1 >> \omega _2[/tex].

Homework Equations


[tex]E=E_0 \cos (kx -\omega t + \alpha)[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution


I summed them up and reached, after an approximation, that [tex]E_1+E_2 \approx 2 E_0 \cos \left (kx -\frac{\omega _1t}{2} + \alpha \right ) \cos \left ( \frac{\omega _ 1 t}{2} \right )[/tex]. I don't know how to simplify further. It seems that the amplitude is the sum of both amplitudes and I'm not sure yet what is the frequency. It should be almost [tex]\omega _1[/tex], intuitively. I just don't know how to show it.
Any help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you consider the fact that
[tex]k=\frac{\omega}{c}[/tex]
and that's why k is different for the two plane waves with two different frequencies?
 
physicsworks said:
Did you consider the fact that
[tex]k=\frac{\omega}{c}[/tex]
and that's why k is different for the two plane waves with two different frequencies?

Thanks, actually I didn't consider this. I will redo the exercise.