1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of two planewaves using momentum operator

1. Mar 6, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I'm baffled by a problem in a quantum physics course I'm taking.

Problem: "Use the momentum operator to find an expression for the sum of two planewaves moving in opposite directions. Both planewaves have the same kinetic energy."

It's in one dimension only.

I know the momentum operator is (h_bar/i)(d/dx), and one planewave is exp(kx-wt). The other is exp(kx+wt) ??

My main problem is that I don't know quite where to start. :rofl: How should I use the momentum operator? The answer should be on the same form as a solution to the Scrodinger equation.. :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2007 #2
    Try writing the expression expi(kx-wt) + exp-i(kx+wt). The idea is that the wavenumber changes sign, not the frequency. This simplifies to 2coskx exp-iwt. Now apply the momentum operator twice. You'll see that p^2=(hk)^2. This means that p=+/-hk.

This is a standing wave, which describes a particle moving in either +x or -x. Supposedly, a measurement of the momentum will produce either +hk or -hk.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?