Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Operator Derivation Questions

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    Hello,

This is probably a very easy questions about the one-dimension momentum operator derivation. So you take the d<x>/dt to find the "velocity" of the expectation value. At one point in the derivation early on, you bring in the d/dt into the integral of the expectation value. The book I'm going off of just basically takes the x out of the derivative because I'm guessing it isn't a function of time.

My question is, how do I know it's not a function of time? When I was trying to do the derivation alone before I looked at the book I used the chain rule here, and obviously made a mess. How do you know that x isn't really x(t)? I dunno I used to make this mistake in classical mechanics, and always assume x or theta wasn't a function of time, so I wouldn't treat them accordingly when doing derivatives. How do I know this x is different?

If anyone would like to help me out here, but wants to see more lines of the derivation I could post them. I just didn't take the time now because I again forget all the latex I learned from the last time I used it, probably a year ago. Just let me know if it would help you out.

Thanks anyone for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the difference between a theory of point particles and a field theory. In classical mechanics, we have a point particle with trajectory ## \textbf{r}(t) ##, while in quantum mechanics we have a wave function ## \Psi(\textbf{r},t) ##. The ## \textbf{r} ## is not a function of time here - the wave function is a field-like quantity and it depends on ## \textbf{r} ## as well as ## t ##. To get the probability of finding a particle in a volume ## d^3\textbf{r} ##, you use ## \Psi ## to get a probability field ## | \Psi |^2 d^3\textbf{r}##. ## \textbf{r} ## just marks the position at which you are considering such probabilities, and it can be anywhere in space.

4. Sep 3, 2015 #3
    Ok wow, after reading your response a few times it makes A LOT of sense. Thanks! I think it answers a lot of other little questions I had about earlier stuff too. I just never had the berries to ask when I probably should have.

5. Sep 4, 2015 #4
    If x doesn't depend on t, how can its average value <x> depend on it?
    (It's to understand better what x means in this context).

Edit. I ask this because don't know if the OP has clear that "x" here means two different things: "operator" in on case and "variable" in another.

--
    lightarrow

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  6. Sep 4, 2015 #5
    I see the difference after Geoflur's post. I hadn't noticed it was all in the notation of the wave function pretty much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook