QFT question about using momentum raising and lowering operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of expressing the number of particles in a scalar field through momentum operators. The conversation suggests starting with a finite volume and using periodic boundary conditions to simplify the calculations. The normalization of annihilation-creation operators and the use of Kronecker-deltas is also mentioned. The conversation ultimately focuses on the relationship between the number operators and the non-interacting particles' Hamiltonian and momentum.
arnshch
How did you find PF?: Google

I know how to express Hamiltonian for scalar field written in field operators through the raising and lowering momentum operators, but I can't figure out how to do the same for the number of particles written in field operators: the 1/2E coefficient within the corresponding integral, doesn't go away in the latter expression, as it does in the former one, and I cannot figure out how to deal with it. Any advise?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I actually want to do the opposite: from the number of particles written through momentum raising and lowering operators to the same number expressed in field operators.

Start with $$\phi(\vec {x})=\int \frac{d^{3}k}{\sqrt{2 \omega_k}} a_k ~e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}}+ a_k^\dagger~e^{-i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}}$$ $$\pi(\vec {x})=-i\int d^{3}k \sqrt{\frac{\omega_k}{2}} a_k ~e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}}- a_k^\dagger~e^{-i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}}$$ and invert these, should be straightforward from there.

I'm not sure about what the OP's question is. I'd recommend to start with a finite volume with periodic boundary conditions on the fields (operators) to get rid of all kinds of problems with ##\delta## distributions.

Then it depends on how you normalize your annihilation-creation operators in the mode decomposition, which factors enter into the "number operators". If you want to get the simple relation ##\hat{N}(\vec{k},\sigma)=\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{x}) \hat{a}(\vec{x})## you have to normalize by the (anti-)commutator relations
$$[\hat{a}(\vec{k}),\hat{a}^{\dagger}(\vec{k}')]_{\pm}=\delta_{\vec{k},\vec{k'}},$$
where here in the finite volume limit we have Kronecker-##\delta##'s.

Then for the non-interacting particles you get
$$\hat{H}=\sum_{\vec{k}} \vec{k} \hat{N}(\vec{k}), \hat{\vec{P}}=\sum_{\vec{k}} \vec{k} \hat{N}(\vec{k})$$
etc.

1. What are momentum raising and lowering operators in quantum field theory?

Momentum raising and lowering operators are mathematical operators used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of particles. They are represented by the symbols a and a, respectively, and are used to create and annihilate particles with specific momenta.

2. How do momentum raising and lowering operators affect particle states?

Momentum raising and lowering operators act on particle states by changing their momentum. When a momentum raising operator is applied to a state, it creates a particle with a higher momentum. Conversely, when a momentum lowering operator is applied, it annihilates a particle with a lower momentum.

3. What is the commutation relation between momentum raising and lowering operators?

The commutation relation between momentum raising and lowering operators is given by [a, a] = 1, where [x, y] represents the commutator of x and y. This relation is important in quantum field theory as it allows us to calculate the energy of a particle using the momentum operator.

4. How are momentum raising and lowering operators related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

Momentum raising and lowering operators are related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle through the commutation relation mentioned above. This relation implies that the momentum and position of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute certainty, as the act of measuring one will affect the other. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

5. How are momentum raising and lowering operators used in practical applications?

Momentum raising and lowering operators are used in practical applications such as calculating the energy levels of a quantum system, determining the scattering amplitudes of particles, and studying the dynamics of quantum fields. They are also essential in the development of quantum algorithms and quantum computing.