Sum of two random variables- kind of

• Thread starter jmckennon
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm sitting here with an interesting problem that I can't seem to figure out. I'm given two random variables

X=a*exp(j*phi)
Y=b

where both a and b are known constants.

phi is uniformly distributed on the interval [0,2pi)

a third random variable Z=X+Y.

My goal, is to find the magnitude of the resulting vector.

At first, I thought that this was an easy problem that could be solved by use of convolution. This doesn't work here since phi makes X a random vector. I tried using MATLAB to help solve it. I wrote an mfile that tried solving it using convolution, and it failed. I tried turning X into a toeplitz matrix and doing matrix multiplication to do the convolution, but that too, failed.

Can anyone help me out?

Answers and Replies

Does anyone have an idea of how to do this?

mathman
Science Advisor
I believe you should try to clarify what you are trying to get.

Comments: Y=b, where b is constant, so Y is not particularly random.
Z is a complex random variable, uniformly distributed over a circle of radius a, centered at b.
What do want to know any further about Z?

I'm essentially trying to find the pdf of Z and its' magnitude. I want to run a monte carlo simulation to verify my results and make a histogram of the results from the simulation in MATLAB for various values of A and B. The way phi is declared, (in matlab) is phi=rand(1,1000).*2*pi;

Does that clarify things? I appreciate the help

mathman
Science Advisor
Z is complex so the usual concept of probability distribution [F(x)=P(X≤x)] can't be used, since X (random variable) has to be real. |Z|, being real, will have a probability distribution.

I understand this, but obtaining the actual solution is where I'm stuck. I'm looking for the probability density function of Z so that I can create a histogram of the values of the magnitude of Z for various a and b values.

mathman
Science Advisor
Ordinary probability density functions are derivatives of ordinary distribution functions, which need real valued random variables. For a complex valued random variable you would need a two dimension density function treating the real and imaginary parts as (dependent) random variables.

I think you're mis understanding my question a bit, I'll try to clarify. In matlab code, phi=rand(1,1000).*2*pi; this makes X a random vector, not a random variable. If it was a random variable, things would be much easier. I'm having trouble of addressing the magnitude of the density function of a complex random vector, X that has a constant, Y being added to it. I appreciate your help though!

mathman
Science Advisor
As far as I can tell, the density function for a random vector can only be expressed as a joint density function of its components.

I've made progress on this one, but I'm confused on part of the theory behind it. Here is my Matlab code.
>> a = 1;
>> b = 0.25;
>> phi = 2*pi*rand(1,10000);
>> z = a+b*exp(j*phi);
>> hist(abs(z),100)
This code produces the histogram I was looking for. It is a U shaped histogram with its' smallest value at .75, largest at 1.25 and it looks to be symmetric at 1. I'm trying to come up with an expression for the |Z| in terms of a and b.

My biggest question, and what would really help me out the most is if some one could provide like a geometric or linear algebra argument for why this
problem is relevant to the problem of the eigenvectors of two random
matrices (the area I'm tip-toeing my way into learning). I'm having trouble understanding this piece.

mathman
Science Advisor
z=1 + 0.25(cosφ + isinφ)
|z|² = (1 + .25cosφ)² + (.25sinφ)² = 17/16 + .5cosφ

You should be able to do the rest. The min and max for |z| agree with what you observed.