Sum of weird infinite series help

In summary, the question is asking for the sum of a series from n=2 to infinity, and the tools of telescoping and geometric series do not seem to work. By changing the index of the sum and using calculus, we can convert it into a function and solve for the sum, which is equal to half of ln 2.
frankietucci
Hi all,SUM of Series from n=2 to infinity of:

------------
(2^n) (n-1)

This question is driving me bananas... my tools are Telescoping or Geometric series, but neither seem to work:

I've tried everything to get this into a geometric series form and then using the a/1-r formula, but can't. I've also tried to make partial fractions, but the 2^n term doesn't seem to work there.

Help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to expand your toolbox to some calculus. Change the index of your sum to start at n=1 and you'll have this:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{ n 2^n } [/tex].

Now consider the following function:

[tex] S:(-1,1) \to \mathbb{R}, S(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^n}{n} [/tex]

[tex] S'(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x^{n-1} = \frac{1}{x} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x^n= \frac{1}{x} \frac{x}{1-x} = \frac{1}{1-x} [/tex]

So [tex] S(x) = - \log (1-x) + C [/tex]. Let x=0 on both sides, we have C=0. So now let x=1/2, S(x) = ln 2, and your sum is half of that.

Thanks so much, this makes perfect sense! I sincerely appreciate it!

1. What is the sum of a weird infinite series?

The sum of a weird infinite series is the total value obtained when all the terms in the series are added together. This type of series may have a strange or unconventional pattern, making it difficult to determine the sum.

2. How do I find the sum of a weird infinite series?

Finding the sum of a weird infinite series can be challenging and may require advanced mathematical techniques such as calculus or complex analysis. In some cases, the sum may not have a closed form solution and can only be approximated.

3. Can the sum of a weird infinite series be negative?

Yes, the sum of a weird infinite series can be negative. This can happen when the series has alternating positive and negative terms or when the terms decrease in value as the series progresses.

4. Are there any real-life applications of weird infinite series?

Yes, weird infinite series have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They can be used to model complex systems or to solve problems involving infinite sums.

5. Can computers calculate the sum of a weird infinite series?

Yes, computers can calculate the sum of a weird infinite series using algorithms and mathematical software. However, the precision of the result may depend on the accuracy of the input values and the limitations of the computer's hardware and software.