Partial Binomial Expansions, and acceptable notation.

In summary, a partial binomial expansion is a mathematical expression used to expand a binomial raised to a power into a sum of terms. It is commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes, and can be applied in other areas of mathematics to simplify complex expressions. The most common notation for partial binomial expansions is the binomial coefficient, but other notations may also be used. Partial binomial expansions can be used for non-integer powers, but this requires the use of the generalized binomial theorem. However, there are limitations to using partial binomial expansions, such as computational intensity for large values and the restriction to only binomial expansions.
GeorgeGreen
What is acceptable summation notation for a binomial expansion of, for example (1+x)^n, from the zeroth to the (n-1)th term?

For example a possible expansion maybe (1+x)^4, where by I would like to write in summation notation that the expansion would be : 1 + 4x + 6(x^2) 4(x^3) . Notice there is no x^4.

My attempts have been largely ambiguous, and I would very much like to hear your thoughts.

With thanks,

John

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Such a thing would be
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^k\begin{pmatrix}n \\ i \end{bmatrix}x^iy^{n-i}[/tex]
for k< n.

1. What is a partial binomial expansion?

A partial binomial expansion is a mathematical expression that expands a binomial raised to a power into a sum of terms. It involves calculating the coefficients of the expanded terms using combinatorial methods, such as Pascal's triangle.

2. What is the purpose of using partial binomial expansions?

Partial binomial expansions are commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a series of independent trials. It can also be used in other fields of mathematics, such as calculus and algebra, to simplify complex expressions.

3. What is an acceptable notation for partial binomial expansions?

The most common notation for partial binomial expansions is the binomial coefficient, also known as the choose function, represented as nCr or <sup>n</sup>C<sub>r</sub>. Other notations may include using factorials, such as n!/(n-r)!, or using the combination formula, nCr = n!/(r!(n-r)!).

4. Can partial binomial expansions be used for non-integer powers?

Yes, partial binomial expansions can be used for non-integer powers. In this case, the coefficients are calculated using the generalized binomial theorem, which involves using the gamma function instead of factorials.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial binomial expansions?

One limitation of using partial binomial expansions is that it can become computationally intensive for large values of n and r. In addition, it is only applicable for binomial expansions, and cannot be used for other types of expansions, such as polynomial expansions.