Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summation of product identities

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    Hi everybody, I am just trying to find a decent identity that relates the sum $$\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_kb_k$$ to another sum such that ##a_k## and ##b_k## aren't together in the same one. If you don't know what I mean, feel free to ask. If you have an answer, please post it. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi eddybob123! :smile:

that's just a·b, the inner product (dot product) of two (n+1)-dimensional vectors a and b :wink:

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    But the a's and the b's aren't vectors, so what is the value of the ''##\cos\theta##"?

5. May 12, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can always interpret a and b as vectors.

There is no general formula to express this as the combination of two things, where one thing just depends on all a and the other thing just depends on all b.

In formulas, there are no (general) functions f,g,h to do this:
    F=f(a0,a1,...,an)
    G=g(b0,b1,...,bn)
    h(F,G)=your result

6. May 12, 2013 #5
    The individual a's and b's might not be vectors, but we can think of them as components.

$$\sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{k}b_{k} = \begin{bmatrix} a_0 & a_1 & a_2 & \cdots \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} b_0 \\ b_1 \\ b_2 \\ \vdots \end{bmatrix} = \langle \vec{a},\vec{b} \rangle $$

How do we find the cosine of theta, you ask? $$\cos\theta = \frac{\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{n}a_{k}b_{k}}{(\sqrt{a_0^2 + a_1^2 + ...})(\sqrt{b_0^2 + b_1^2 + b_2^2 + ...})}$$
    :biggrin:

To be completely serious, I am not aware of the kind of general formula you are looking for.

7. May 12, 2013 #6
    And the magnitudes of the two vectors will be $$\sqrt{a_0{}^2+a_1{}^2+...+a_n{}^2}$$ and $$\sqrt{b_0{}^2+b_1{}^2+...+b_n{}^2}$$Is this right?

8. May 12, 2013 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook