Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer REU options for int'l students?

  1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    Is it common for international students to get to do summer physics REU's in the US? I am a 3rd year undergrad in Spain, although I am a legal resident of the US if that helps (no need for a visa or anything to that avail). I can get letters of recommendation from 2-3 professors one of which is in my area of interest. I would like to do something in astrophysics but I'm open to other areas as well. Do I have any chance of getting into a REU or do students studying abroad take a back seat to applicants with letters of recommendation from US professors?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2
    REU programs are funded by the National Science Foundation, and non-US citizens are not allowed to apply. If you are a US citizen, you might be able to apply, but I'm not sure how your application would look coming from Spain. I would just send emails to the programs you want to attend and ask them.

    However, there are a couple of programs that accept international students, the funding just comes from somewhere else. Montana State University is an example. Their program is in solar physics.
  4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion! That looks nice, and one of my profs is an active researcher in that area. Do you happen to know of any similar examples of non-NSF funded REUs? I'm a permanent resident (greencard holder), but I'm still a few years from being able to obtain a full citizenship.

    I found a site with a list, though it was last updated 5 years ago:
    which has a link to

    I assume national laboratories are out of the question for non-citizens?

    Edit: I just found out that permanent residents can still apply for NSF grants.
  5. Jan 12, 2012 #4
    That program was the only one I saw in my REU search that accepts international students. Some say they accept permanent residents, but some also say that you must attend a school in the US. And yes, national laboratories are probably out of the question. But again, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook