Super Tonio: Baby Born Weighing 6.6kg in Cancun!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weighing
In summary, a 10.2 kg baby was born in Mexico weighing almost 25 pounds and it is likely that the mother has a health problem.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
... Dubbed "Super Tonio", he startled staff at the Jesus Kumate Rodriguez hospital in Cancun, Mexico, not to mention his mother, by arriving via caesarean section on Monday weighing a whopping 6.6kg (14lb 8oz), roughly twice the average weight for a newborn baby. [continued]
tonio192.jpg

Photograph: Elizabeth Ruiz/EPA
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,2003489,00.html

I should hope that he came by C section!

“Giving birth is like taking your lower lip and forcing it over your head.”
Carol Burnett

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a career in sumo wrestling is in his future.

They didn't give much in the way of details. I'm wondering about the size of the mother and any untreated health problems she may have had during pregnancy to have such an obese baby (just looking at him, he's not just a long baby, but really fat looking too). I'm only guessing that prenatal care was not fully adequate for the mother if this size baby came as a surprise, especially after the first one she had was also big (the article does mention that). Usually they'd be doing ultrasounds to check the growth of the fetus in such a case and it wouldn't be such a surprise at birth, so either she didn't seek much prenatal treatment, or it wasn't available to her.

If they aren't finding anything wrong with the baby, my thinking is that it's the mother that may have a health problem and should be examined. With a large size baby like that, they'll have to watch him for signs of diabetes. Very high and very low birth weight babies are at higher risk for developing diabetes.

10.2 kg baby,that's nealry 25lbs as the world record jesus that must of been some delivery, probably a 48 hour job:bugeye: :eek:

A case of cut-&-paste, judging from the article.

desA said:
A case of cut-&-paste, judging from the article.

Negative. Canada AM had it on video.

How big are mamma and daddy??

EDIT:Imagine a small poodle gets fertilized by a german shepherd.
Will the poodle have pregnancy problems?

Last edited:

FAQ: Super Tonio: Baby Born Weighing 6.6kg in Cancun!

1. What is Super Tonio?

Super Tonio is a baby born weighing 6.6kg in Cancun, Mexico. He gained worldwide attention due to his unusually large birth weight.

2. How does Super Tonio's weight compare to the average birth weight?

The average birth weight for a baby is around 3.5kg, so Super Tonio's weight is almost double the average.

3. What caused Super Tonio to have such a high birth weight?

There are several factors that could contribute to a high birth weight, including genetics, maternal health, and gestational diabetes. It is unclear what specifically caused Super Tonio's weight.

4. Was Super Tonio's birth weight considered healthy?

While it is rare for a baby to be born weighing 6.6kg, the doctors in Cancun reported that Super Tonio was healthy and did not encounter any complications or health issues related to his weight.

5. What is the significance of Super Tonio's birth weight?

Super Tonio's birth weight is significant because it is a rare occurrence and gained widespread media attention. It also highlights the importance of proper prenatal care for both the mother and baby's health.

Back