1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superconductors, ElectroMagnets and MagLevs

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    Guys I have a problem. Maybe, it's is a stupid one, but I realy need help to comprehend something.

I'm writing a report about applications of superconductivity. I chose the MagLev trains applications. Let's say, everything was fine until I read about the Meissner Effect. Now I have my mind puzzled.

So, correct me if I'm wrong: Superconductors are "perfect" diamagnets, and diamagnets and Meissner effect are supossed to reject any magnetic field inside of them and thus creating a repulsive effect... How is possible to create superconductors magnets? Shouldn't they reject every magnet no matter its poles? Are superconducting magnet's poles placed in the opposite sides of the superconductor's surface but not in inside?

Please answer that doubt, I'm beginning to lose my nerves.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    As I understand it, it`s because Superconductors are electromagnets. They act like a solenoid coil and not like a bar magnetic. That is, the high current produces a magentic field outside the coil but there are no poles "inside" or "on" the coil itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook