Can a superconductor "repel" an electromagnet due to the Meissner effect?

In summary, a superconductor in the Meissner state has little to no magnetic field within it, but this state breaks down when a strong magnetic field is applied. However, when an electromagnet is suddenly turned on near a superconductor with a magnetic field below the critical value, the Meissner effect will cause the electromagnet to be repelled and possibly "jump away" from the superconductor, depending on the strength and geometry of the magnet. This phenomenon is also known as levitation and can be seen in pictures of levitated magnets. When the temperature of the superconductor drops below Tc, the magnetic field will be expelled and the magnet will jump up, though the speed at which this happens is uncertain
Dante Meira
A superconductor with little or no magnetic field within it is said to be in the Meissner state. The Meissner state breaks down when the applied magnetic field is too strong.

But what happens if an electromagnet that is at first "turned off" is suddenly "turned on", in the close proximity of a superconductor, with a magnetic field of strength bellow the critical value Hc (in type-I superconductors) or Hc1 (in type-II superconductors)? Will the electromagnet be "repealed" by the superconductor because of Meissner effect? If the superconductor is mechanically fixed, will the electromagnet that was suddenly turned on "jump away" from the superconductor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, that is what I would expect.
How much it would "jump" would obviously depend on the strength of the magnet and the geometry. I've never actually tried what you are proposing, but I've spent a fair amount of time playing with RE magnets and high-Tc. in those cases the magnet has a tendency to just "slide off" the the field rather than jump.

This site on hyperphysics explains the effect, and has some pictures of levitated magnets. My understanding is that if a magnet is sitting on a superconductor and the temperature drops below Tc, the magnetic field will be expelled, and the magnet will in fact "jump up". I'm not sure how fast this will happen.

1. Can you explain the Meissner effect and how it relates to superconductors?

The Meissner effect is a phenomenon observed in superconductors where they completely expel magnetic fields from their interior. This is due to the perfect conductivity of superconductors, which causes the magnetic field to be canceled out by induced currents in the material. As a result, superconductors can "repel" electromagnets placed near them.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the Meissner effect in superconductors?

The strength of the magnetic field does not affect the Meissner effect in superconductors. As long as the material is in its superconducting state, it will completely expel any magnetic field, regardless of its strength.

3. Can the Meissner effect be observed in all types of superconductors?

Yes, the Meissner effect is a fundamental property of all superconductors. However, the strength of the effect may vary depending on the type of superconductor and its characteristics.

4. Is the Meissner effect reversible in superconductors?

Yes, the Meissner effect is reversible. When the magnetic field is removed, the superconductor will return to its superconducting state and completely expel any remaining magnetic field.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Meissner effect in superconductors?

Yes, the Meissner effect is crucial for many practical applications of superconductors, such as in magnetic levitation trains and MRI machines. It allows for the stable and precise control of magnetic fields, making superconductors valuable in various industries.