1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superheated steam/isentropic expansion.

1. Aug 3, 2012 #1
    I have a quiz tomorrow and I hope somebody sees this and answers in time.

Alright, so I have superheated steam at 8600kPa and 500 degrees C. It expands isentropically to 2900 kPa.

Since it's isentropic, S2 must be equal to S3, assuming it's ideal. S2 = S3' = 6.6858.

Getting the saturation entropies at 2900 kPa, Sl = 2.6283 and Sv = 6.1969. x is 1.13.

Now this is the problem; it's still superheated. How on earth do I get enthalpy (H) 3? I've been looking at the freaking steam table for three hours with no luck. apparently the answer is 3071 and I have no idea how did they even get that.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2012 #2
    Re: Superheated steam/isentropic expansion. URGENT

you will have to extrapolate the enthalpy from saturated vapour enthalpy point to the point you want.

4. Aug 3, 2012 #3

you can also use h-s chart.

5. Aug 3, 2012 #4

Can I get numerical values? All this thinking made my brain go broke.

I just need to know the entire process of getting the value, then I'll probably rest a bit. Thanks.

6. Aug 3, 2012 #5

take a look at mollier diagram.a big chart,just follow the constant pressure line corresponding to the pressure and see what you get for that entropy.

7. Aug 3, 2012 #6

we're required to use steam tables though.

8. Aug 3, 2012 #7

OMG i finally got it. I take 2900kPa. Look for the appropriate interpolation wrt to 6.6858, then interpolate it to take the enthalpy which has the entropy of 6.6858. thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook