Calculating Internal Energy Change in Saturated Steam Throttling Process

• Thread starter TMoore20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, calculating the internal energy change in a saturated steam throttling process involves determining the difference between the initial and final internal energies, taking into account the specific enthalpy and entropy values of the steam at each point. This process is used to analyze the change in energy of steam as it passes through a throttle valve, which can have significant effects on the temperature, pressure, and volume of the steam. It is an important concept in thermodynamics and is often used in engineering and industrial applications.
TMoore20

Homework Statement

"Dry, saturated steam at 1500kPa is throttled (perhaps, expanded) to a final condition of 100kPa, dry and saturated. Calculate the change in internal energy."

Homework Equations

Q= ΔU + W (Q, heat supplied. U, internal energy. W, work)

Steam table interpolation. (I generally don't use the interpolation formula, just ratios)

h= U + PV (not sure on this one as it is not a constant pressure process, h, enthalpy.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Hard to get a handle on this one for me, so far I have collected that work is being removed by some means (turbine blade, stationary nozzle, piston..) seeing as it is not a constant enthalpy process.

Taking the difference between the two conditions on the steam tables seems too easy and well...wrong.

Made it as far as calculating the difference between the enthalpy at 100kPa D & S and what it would have been in a constant enthalpy process, to find the enthalpy rejected to the system. Also that the temperature difference between Tsat at 100kPa and what it should be superheated to is 40.33°C.

This is a frustrating problem for me because it seems easy and I'm positive that I've learned it before. I'm just 3 years out of school and I think it's a simple problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TMoore20,

Steam tables! Now that takes me back ...! :smile:

Alas, that learning has long ago left me to make room for more-recent stuff. (Well, that's my excuse. :wink: ) About all I recall is needing to work in degrees Rankin for some tables.

When faced with questions like the one you have, you can often get help by finding an online solved question. I leave it to you to determine whether this one is analogous to the question you face. http://www.learnthermo.com/examples/ch05/p-5c-4.php
Watch out superheated steam; it's invisible, and the burns they go deep. Remember ---

Fluidics, Thermodynamics of Fluids ... Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi TMoore20. Welcome to Physics Forums.

The key to this question is the word saturated for the initial and final states. From the steam tables, you can get the internal energy of saturated steam at 1500 kPa and at 100 kPa. You don't have to know anything about the process that took the steam from the initial to the final state. The internal energy is a point function.

Chet

Related to Calculating Internal Energy Change in Saturated Steam Throttling Process

1. What is steam throttling?

Steam throttling is a process used to control the amount of steam entering a turbine or other equipment in a steam system. It involves reducing the pressure and temperature of the steam to a desired level, which allows for better efficiency and control.

2. Why is steam throttling important?

Steam throttling is important because it allows for the control of steam flow and temperature, which is necessary for the safe and efficient operation of steam systems. It also helps to regulate the amount of energy being used, reducing waste and saving costs.

3. How does steam throttling work?

Steam throttling works by passing steam through a valve or other device that reduces the pressure and temperature of the steam. This is typically done using a control mechanism, such as a pneumatic or electronic controller, which adjusts the valve based on the desired steam flow and temperature.

4. What are the benefits of steam throttling?

The benefits of steam throttling include improved control and efficiency in steam systems, reduced energy waste, and cost savings. It also allows for the safe operation of equipment by preventing excessive pressure and temperature levels.

5. Are there any risks associated with steam throttling?

There can be risks associated with steam throttling, such as the potential for damage to equipment if the pressure and temperature levels are not properly controlled. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain steam systems to ensure safe and efficient operation.