Superposition and Interference problem

In summary: Regarding the second question, it's similar to the first one. You need to find the proportionality between the length of the tube and the frequency of the tuning fork.Can you see what that is? :smile:In summary, the first question involves finding the stretch of a spring that produces a standing wave with two antinodes. The relevant equation is f= mv/2L, where v is the wave speed and L is the length of the spring. The second question involves finding the frequency of a tuning fork based on the length of the tube. The relevant equation is f= mv/4L, where v is the wave speed and L is the length of the tube.
habibclan
I have two questions from the Superposition unit that I don't get it. I'd really any help on these as I have my physics exam on monday! Thanks for any help!

Homework Statement

A steel wire is used to stretch a spring. An oscillating magnetic field drives the steel wire back and forth. A standing wave with three antinodes is created wehn the spring is stretched 8.0 cm. What stretch of spring produces a standing wave with two antinodes?

Here's the picture for it:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/aliatehreem/45.jpg

Homework Equations

λ= 2L/m m=1,2,3 (formula for mth possible wavelength)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to tackle this problem, besides the fact that two antinodes means m=2, and so when I use the wavelength formula (assuming that the wavelength remains constant with al lengths of stretching).

For given info, m=3 and L=0.08 m
λ= 2L/m= 2(0.08)/3 = 0.053 m

Therefore, to solve for the length of the second one,
L=λm/2= 0.053*2/2=0.053 m

However, the answer is actually 0.18 m or 18 cm. I don't think I'm understanding this question properly but I just don't understand the way the problem is set up! Can someone help me please.

The second question from the textbook is:

Homework Statement

A 40-cm -long tube has a 40-cm-long insert that can be pulled in and out. A vibrating tuning fork is held next to the tube. As the insert is slowly pulled out, the sound from the tuning fork creates standing waves in the tube when the total length L is 42.5 cm, 56.7 cm, and 70.9 cm. What is the frequency of the tuning fork?

I've drawn the picture here: http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/aliatehreem/50.jpg

Homework Equations

λ= 4L/m

f= mv/4L

Would this be an open-closed tube as the tuning fork blocks one side? I don't know if the wavelength remains constant for all three lengths and so I don't know how to tackle this problem. I would really appreciate if anyone could guide me in the right direction!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
habibclan said:
I have two questions from the Superposition unit that I don't get it. I'd really any help on these as I have my physics exam on monday! Thanks for any help!

Homework Statement

A steel wire is used to stretch a spring. An oscillating magnetic field drives the steel wire back and forth. A standing wave with three antinodes is created wehn the spring is stretched 8.0 cm. What stretch of spring produces a standing wave with two antinodes?

Here's the picture for it:
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/aliatehreem/45.jpg

Homework Equations

λ= 2L/m m=1,2,3 (formula for mth possible wavelength)

I really don't know how to tackle this problem, besides the fact that two antinodes means m=2, and so when I use the wavelength formula (assuming that the wavelength remains constant with al lengths of stretching).

For given info, m=3 and L=0.08 m
λ= 2L/m= 2(0.08)/3 = 0.053 m

Therefore, to solve for the length of the second one,
L=λm/2= 0.053*2/2=0.053 m

However, the answer is actually 0.18 m or 18 cm. I don't think I'm understanding this question properly but I just don't understand the way the problem is set up! Can someone help me please.

Hi habibclan! :smile:

(btw, you don't need to solve the equations completely, you only need the ratios of the lengths! :wink:)

You're assuming it's a fixed wavelength, in which case obviously the ratio will be m/m´, in this case 2/3.

(while the correct answer uses the ratio m´²/m²)

But look at what's moving the spring … it's an oscillating magnetic field, so it's the frequency that's fixed.

So the relevant equation is … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi habibclan! :smile:

(btw, you don't need to solve the equations completely, you only need the ratios of the lengths! :wink:)

You're assuming it's a fixed wavelength, in which case obviously the ratio will be m/m´, in this case 2/3.

(while the correct answer uses the ratio m´²/m²)

But look at what's moving the spring … it's an oscillating magnetic field, so it's the frequency that's fixed.

So the relevant equation is … ? :smile:

You're referring to the frequency equation: f= mv/2L. I tried using that but the answer comes out to 8.33 m, whereas at the back of the textbook, it is 18 cm :S. This is my working:

frequency for the 8 cm one where m=3 as there are 3 antinodes: f= (3 v) / (2*0.08)
frequency for unknown length with m=2: f= (3v) / (2L)

since you're saying frequencies are equal, (3 v) / (2*0.08)= (3v) / (2L), then L=0.053=5.3 cm, however,the correct answer is 18 cm.

What about the second question about the double-slit experiment? Can you please guide me as to how to approach such a question? Thanks a lot =)

habibclan said:
You're referring to the frequency equation: f= mv/2L.

That's assuming v is constant (then fλ = v).

Do you know an equation that involves the spring constant, k? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
That's assuming v is constant (then fλ = v).

Do you know an equation that involves the spring constant, k? :smile:

Us= 1/2 k x^2 ?

Can someone help me please?? I've got my exam tomorrow morning!

Sorry … forget the spring constant … you can do it simply like this:

tension in a spring is proportional to length;

and wave speed is proortional to square-root of length

(I got this from doing a forum search, https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-152536.html")
Chi Meson said:
But to answer your questions, you don't need to know the spring constant. You just need to know the proportionality between the stretch of the string, to the tension of the spring, to the speed of the wave in the string.

If the frequency is constant, by doubling the stretch of the spring, the tension will double, and the wave speed will increase by 1.41 (square root 2).

In your question, f is constant, and L is proportional to √v.

So … ? :smile:

1. What is superposition and interference?

Superposition and interference are phenomena that occur when two or more waves interact with each other. Superposition refers to the overlapping of waves, while interference refers to the resulting pattern of constructive and destructive interference.

2. How does superposition and interference affect the behavior of light?

Superposition and interference play a crucial role in the behavior of light. When light waves overlap, they can either amplify or cancel each other out, producing bright or dark regions, respectively. This results in the formation of interference patterns, which can be observed in phenomena such as diffraction and interference.

3. Can superposition and interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, superposition and interference can occur with any type of wave, such as sound waves, water waves, and even matter waves. In fact, these phenomena were first observed with water waves by Thomas Young in his famous double-slit experiment.

4. How is superposition and interference used in everyday technology?

Superposition and interference are used in various technologies, such as in antennas for radio and television, in fiber optics for telecommunications, and in medical imaging devices. They are also used in everyday objects, such as anti-glare coatings on glasses and anti-reflective coatings on camera lenses.

5. What are some real-world applications of superposition and interference?

Superposition and interference have many real-world applications, including in the fields of astronomy, microscopy, and spectroscopy. They are also used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography, which rely on the principles of superposition and interference in manipulating and measuring quantum states.