Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superposition of energy levels

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1

naima

Gold Member

Hi PFs

whith atoms in the ground level |g> we can prepare them in the first excited energy level |e> by giving them the transition energy with a laser. if one photon is absorbed it will be in |e>.
    I read that to prepare a |e> + |g> state i can use a ##\pi/2## pulse with this same laser.
    What is the trick to get a such a state and not a 50/50 mixture of the two states (or to get this mixture)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lets see:
    you superpose states not energy levels.
    "I read"... what? Where? Citations please. Without the context it is very difficult to figure out what the author was trying to say.
    "p/2 pulse with this same laser" does not make sense by itself. Perhaps you are thinking of push-pull pumping or perhaps VSCPT in atom trapping experiments?

Note: the |e>+|g> state is not normalized, and would represent a 50:50 probability of finding the atom in either e or g.

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3

naima

Gold Member

you can find the context in
    http://www.cqed.org/spip.php?article122
    Here the atom in the grount state interact during T with a "classical" ##\pi/2## pulse and becomes |g> + |e>. there is a rotation on the Bloch sphere. if the duration was 2T we would get a pure excited state with certainty.

What if the state is not classical?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. Mar 30, 2015 #4

kith

Science Advisor

You cannot go from a pure state to a mixture with a unitary process.

6. Mar 30, 2015 #5

naima

Gold Member

When i prepare a state with a device can i know if the apparatus uses only unitary process?

7. Mar 30, 2015 #6

kith

Science Advisor

The distinction is not so clear. Even if the interaction between a small and a big system can be described as unitary, the experimenter may introduce non-unitarity by ignoring correlations.

Regarding your case, I would say that you are fine at least as long as you can treat the influence of the field as a perturbation acting on the atom.

8. Mar 30, 2015 #7

naima

Gold Member

There is a cut in QM between a quantum system and a classical word. So when a two level atom and a classical field interact the quantic system evolves unitarily. We can describe this with a point moving on the Bloch spere.
    We may move the cut so that the quantic side includes the atom and other particles. Then the new system "atom + particles" will be in a tensor product Hilbert space (they may be entangled) have to evolve unitarily The state of the atom is given by tracing out the particles and can be a mixture. so the corresponding point is no more on the Bloch sphere but inside it.
    I am trying to understand the formalism describing what happens when i have an atom and a field of photons. I am not sure but i think that if the field is coherent the atom alone will stay on the Bloch sphere. Could you help me ?
    Thanks

9. Mar 31, 2015 #8

kith

Science Advisor

You should read about the Jaynes-Cummings model. Conceptually, it is very simple, because it couples a two-level system (the atom) to a single field mode, but I think it is powerful enough to answer all your questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook