Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superpositions and complex structures

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    So I get that when starting at Eigenstate A all super-positions wave functions are collapsed do to entanglement with "observed eigenstate A.
    My theoretical question is since sub-atomic particles are entangled in there "eigenstate" space-time positions, wouldn't that mean that complex structures of sub atomic particles such as matter that contain quarks, strong force, gluons, ect....would also be entangled in" the there super-position(s) as well, making up the same complex structures in there other eigenstate superposition(s) in theory ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can treat non-elementary particles like protons like elementary particles if the energies are low enough. If the energy is high enough, you have to consider the constituents individually, and you get a multi-particle system (which still follows the laws of quantum mechanics, of course, but is is much more complex).
    Collapse means no entanglement any more.
    There are no "eigenstate space-time positions".

4. Nov 3, 2015 #3
    Ok, thanks

5. Nov 3, 2015 #4
    I understand what your saying, I thought if entanglement ends at wave collapse in a complex structure of particles strong force is holding them together so they remain in a structured state. At the super positions but decohersed

6. Nov 3, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand that post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook