Supersymmetric Composite Models

In summary: It's fascinating to think about how this could potentially lead to zero mass or very light particles despite a high composite scale. In summary, The conversation discusses a review found by Volkas and Joshi on the topic of supersymmetry in preons and composites, which was published in 1988. It is mentioned that this topic has received further exploration, but the idea of having supersymmetry in both preons and composites is still intriguing. The potential for zero mass or light particles despite a high composite scale is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for more recent reviews or papers on this concept.
arivero
Gold Member
I have just found a review on this topic by Volkas and Joshi

http://inspirehep.net/record/21549?ln=esBut it is very old... 1988. I was just in the middle of the undergraduate. I know that the topic got some push from Seiberg dualities, but that is still the XXth century. Does anybody know of more recent reviews?

At a first glance, it seems that the idea is to have supersymmetry both in the preons AND in the composites. I am not sure if this is some general theorem of supersymmetry... In which conditions a composite particle is also a piece of a supermultiplet? At least it seems that it works for Goldstone bosons, which have fermionic partners.

With this, it seems that they are able to have zero mass, or very light particles, even if the composite scale is very high. Interesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for sharing the review! It's great to see that this topic was explored as far back as 1988. I'm sure it has been further explored by now, though. I'm also very intrigued by the idea of having supersymmetry in both preons and composites. Do you know if there have been any more recent reviews or papers discussing this concept?

1. What is a supersymmetric composite model?

A supersymmetric composite model is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of supersymmetry and composite models of particles. It proposes that the fundamental particles that make up matter are not elementary, but rather composites of more fundamental particles.

2. What is the purpose of studying supersymmetric composite models?

The purpose of studying supersymmetric composite models is to explain the hierarchy problem in particle physics, which is the large discrepancy between the observed mass of the Higgs boson and the theoretical prediction. These models also aim to unify the strong and electroweak forces in a more elegant way than the Standard Model.

3. How are supersymmetric composite models different from other theories?

Supersymmetric composite models combine two popular theories in particle physics - supersymmetry and composite models. They propose a unique solution to the hierarchy problem by introducing new composite particles that interact with the Higgs boson, thereby stabilizing its mass.

4. What are the implications of supersymmetric composite models?

If supersymmetric composite models are proven to be correct, it would provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It could also lead to new predictions and insights into other unsolved problems in physics, such as dark matter and the matter-antimatter asymmetry.

5. Are there any experimental evidence for supersymmetric composite models?

As of now, there is no direct experimental evidence for supersymmetric composite models. However, some of the predictions of these models, such as the existence of new composite particles, could potentially be tested at high energy particle colliders such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).