Supersymmetry - current status

In summary, theoretical arguments for SUSY are weaker now, but it can still be excluded by the LHC. Funding for particle physics might get cut if SUSY is not found.
jirka.win
I wanted to ask wheter there is any progress when it comes to SUSY.
Since LHC didn't find any superpartners and LUX found no neutralinos how much space does SUSY have left? I mean it can be fine tuned but that can't be done forever right?

Or is there something I don't know that improves SUSYs chances?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted to ask wheter there is any progress when it comes to SUSY.
Just more exclusions and better limits.

SUSY as a whole cannot be excluded by the LHC - but if the LHC does not find anything, the theoretical arguments for it get significantly weaker. Even now, some of the easiest models get problematic.

mfb said:
Just more exclusions and better limits.

SUSY as a whole cannot be excluded by the LHC - but if the LHC does not find anything, the theoretical arguments for it get significantly weaker. Even now, some of the easiest models get problematic.

Yeah I read several papers and I'm getting a little worried.
Not because I have some sort of emotional connection to that model but because if nothing is found funding for particle physics will probably get cut.

I just want to ask. If SUSY particles don't show up, at what point will theoretical physicist consider the model dead? Since some supersymmetric models can be pushed really far (only Kardashev civilization II would be able to rule them out).

jirka.win said:
Yeah I read several papers and I'm getting a little worried.
Not because I have some sort of emotional connection to that model but because if nothing is found funding for particle physics will probably get cut.
That's certainly an issue. I guess the ILC does not need SUSY particles to get funded as it will be the first lepton collider to study Higgs and Top, but anything beyond that does not have a good physics motivation so far.
The planned Chinese Higgs factory (circular e+e- collider) could be interesting as well, as Chinese funding methods look a bit different.

I just want to ask. If SUSY particles don't show up, at what point will theoretical physicist consider the model dead?
My guess: Never.
Since some supersymmetric models can be pushed really far (only Kardashev civilization II would be able to rule them out).
I'm sure you can push the scale even beyond the GUT scale in some way... :D.

1. What is supersymmetry and why is it important in physics?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical concept that suggests every particle in the universe has a "superpartner" particle with similar properties but different spin. It is important in physics because it could potentially solve some of the unanswered questions in the Standard Model, such as the hierarchy problem and the existence of dark matter.

2. Has supersymmetry been proven to exist?

No, supersymmetry has not yet been proven to exist. Despite many attempts, there has been no experimental evidence to support the theory. However, it is still an active area of research and many scientists believe it is a promising avenue for further exploration.

3. What is the current status of supersymmetry research?

The current status of supersymmetry research is that it remains a widely studied and debated topic in the field of particle physics. While there have been no confirmed observations of supersymmetric particles, many scientists continue to search for evidence and develop new theories and models to better understand this concept.

4. What are the potential implications if supersymmetry is proven to be true?

If supersymmetry is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It could help explain the existence of dark matter, provide a solution to the hierarchy problem, and potentially unify the four fundamental forces of nature.

5. Are there any alternative theories to supersymmetry?

Yes, there are alternative theories to supersymmetry that have been proposed, such as extra dimensions and string theory. These theories also aim to address the unanswered questions in the Standard Model and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe. However, none of these alternatives have been proven to be true either, and supersymmetry remains a popular and intriguing concept in the scientific community.