Support for Turbo's ankle injury recovery
- Thread starter Evo
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
125 replies · 16K views
Biology news on Phys.org
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
dlgoff said:Now I don't know whether to feel worse for you or Duke.
Duke can lick himself... feel for turbo.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
OK, you two...
Dembadon
Gold Member
- 660
- 88
Sorry to hear about your injury, turbo. I hope your recovery quickens soon.
Regarding music -- you could always hunt around youtube for new Danny Gatton footage.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Maybe you need a constant loop of Kenny G? That would get you up even if you had to get Duke to chew of your foot.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
That would be a very big incentive.nismaratwork said:Maybe you need a constant loop of Kenny G? That would get you up even if you had to get Duke to chew of your foot.![]()
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
turbo-1 said:That would be a very big incentive.
Hell, I'd stick forks in my ears before I did that... Kenny G is dangerous, long term exposure causes a nearly fatal abreaction.
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Hope you feel better soon...
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Thanks! It will be a week tomorrow and I still can't put more than a little weight on that foot. I'd post a picture, but everybody would say "Eeeew!"Lisa! said:Hope you feel better soon...![]()
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
turbo-1 said:Thanks! It will be a week tomorrow and I still can't put more than a little weight on that foot. I'd post a picture, but everybody would say "Eeeew!"
Oh come on, you can't be THAT ugly.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Are you sure you didn't break something?turbo-1 said:It will be a week tomorrow and I still can't put more than a little weight on that foot. I'd post a picture, but everybody would say "Eeeew!"
I'd like to say "Eeeew!" Let's see it.
PS I'm glad you can have a sense of humor even with this injury.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Don't say I didn't warn you!dlgoff said:Are you sure you didn't break something?
I'd like to say "Eeeew!" Let's see it.
PS I'm glad you can have a sense of humor even with this injury.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
turbo-1 said:Don't say I didn't warn you!
![]()
Ah you poor guy!
That must hurt like the devil.
You know, I'd take some capseicin and mix it with Aquaphor, and some dissolved epsom salts, and aspirin. It might make for a decent poultice, and should relieve some swelling.
edit: Are you SURE there isn't a break or a stress fracture around the outer portion of the foot?
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I can't be sure of that, but what could a doctor do about it? (S)he'd brace my ankle/foot and tell me to go home, keep it elevated, ice it periodically, and rest it. Well, I can handle all that here, so I'm riding it out. This would be a really nice time to own a LaZy Boy and a laptop, but I'm making do with what I've got.nismaratwork said:edit: Are you SURE there isn't a break or a stress fracture around the outer portion of the foot?
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
turbo-1 said:I can't be sure of that, but what could a doctor do about it? (S)he'd brace my ankle/foot and tell me to go home, keep it elevated, ice it periodically, and rest it. Well, I can handle all that here, so I'm riding it out. This would be a really nice time to own a LaZy Boy and a laptop, but I'm making do with what I've got.
Hmmmm... maybe, but it could reduce your healing time and pain at least...
that really is quite bruised, even after this much time. The last time I saw that was a woman who broke her wrist, thought it was a sprain...and that didn't end well.
I'm not going to bug you again, but if I were you, I'd get that x-ray and make sure.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
nismaratwork said:Hmmmm... maybe, but it could reduce your healing time and pain at least...
that really is quite bruised, even after this much time. The last time I saw that was a woman who broke her wrist, thought it was a sprain...and that didn't end well.
I'm not going to bug you again, but if I were you, I'd get that x-ray and make sure.
Ditto that.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
lisab said:Ditto that.
...And how can you refuse Lisab? Community spirit is WORRIED about your foot man!
You walk on that... <--- most obvious and unnecessary statement ever.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
EWWWWWW, turbo, you poor man.
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
"EWWWWWW, turbo, you poor man." (Evo)
That is going in any future signiture.
edit: So far:
"EWWWWWW, turbo, you poor man." (Evo re: Turbo's Ankle)
"I just unresolved the issue. And now I've resolved it again, just now. BAM!" (Greg Bernhardt)
"This is P&WA. We don't try the other guy's way. We tell the other guy that his way makes no sense and follow that with a personal attack." (Caffenta, said in jest)
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
It' going to take awhile for the swelling and bruising to go away, I fell full weight on concrete steps with my foot twisted under so that the top of my foot hit the step, with me on top of my foot. Turbo's right, unless there is a break that needs setting, nothing to do but wait.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Problem:
If I go to a doctor, I will be exposed to fragrances which I have severe reactions to (scented fabric products, cosmetics, soaps, etc, in addition to the patients and clueless staff that over-do colognes and perfumes). Then the doctor will send me to the hospital's radiology department, so I get exposed more in the waiting room, from patients, visitors, and staff. Then, if X-rays are inconclusive, they will go overkill and order a CT scan with more waiting and more exposure to staff and other patients.
By that time, my BP will be through the roof, and I will be over-using my rescue inhaler trying to keep my airways open. Then comes the crippling migraine, inability to sleep, and painful cramps and diarrhea. Exposure also flares up the arthritis in my feet and knees, so that I'll be limping (even worse than now) for days afterward. Not a lot of good choices.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Yes, and one that is about twice as big as the un-damaged one.Chi Meson said:Wow, your hand looks like a foot!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Find a witch doctor or shaman.turbo-1 said:Problem:
If I go to a doctor, I will be exposed to fragrances which I have severe reactions to (scented fabric products, cosmetics, soaps, etc, in addition to the patients and clueless staff that over-do colognes and perfumes). Then the doctor will send me to the hospital's radiology department, so I get exposed more in the waiting room, from patients, visitors, and staff. Then, if X-rays are inconclusive, they will go overkill and order a CT scan with more waiting and more exposure to staff and other patients.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Thanks. I haven't had a sprain this bad ever, though I had one ski-racing that was nearly as bad. I told my ski-coach after the fall (had to avoid a young kid that crossed the run-out of the GS course as I barreled through the last gate) that I wouldn't be able to ski X-country in the state finals the next day. He thought that I was pissed because he had replaced me in the Slalom with a kid that couldn't match my times, so he kicked me off the team. Monday morning, I showed up at school on crutches with my right foot in a bread bag because my socks and shoes wouldn't fit. He apologized and reinstated me so I got my varsity letter in skiing for yet another year.Astronuc said:Well - I hope is heals quickly. Don't do that again!![]()
nismaratwork
- 359
- 0
Astronuc said:Find a witch doctor or shaman.Ooh-ee-oo-ah-ah! Walla-walla-bing-bang.
I forget to mention lime and coconuts in my poultice.
@Turbo-1: Damn, that is a problem beyond a broken foot. Let me think on this and check maine for facilities for people with severe chemical sensitivity.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
There isn't one. The nearest specialist MD in chemical injuries was in Exeter, NH. Then he took a position at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, which made visiting him problematic. That is a HUGE busy hospital loaded with people. Great guy, but I couldn't continue to see him after a couple of real bad reactions. Astro would love to meet the guy. He had pictures on his office walls from his visits to India, Kashmir, Nepal, etc.nismaratwork said:@Turbo-1: Damn, that is a problem beyond a broken foot. Let me think on this and check maine for facilities for people with severe chemical sensitivity.
physics girl phd
- 931
- 3
Ouch! I add my wishes in addition to all these others. (If the head-count of get-well-soon wishes was enough to heal, you'd be feeling like new already Turbo!)
