Suppose you are far into deep space

• Thread starter Forge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of being accelerated without physical contact and the role of an accelerometer in measuring this acceleration. It also touches on the idea of weightlessness and how it is affected by different forces. The conversation concludes by discussing the acceleration on a Maglev train and the potential role of electromagnetic fields in this acceleration.
Forge
You are accelerating at constant acceleration without anything physically touching you. Do you feel anything? What would an accelerometer read if the same force is applied to the accelerometer without anything physically touching the accelerometer? What would an accelerometer read if the no force is applied to the accelerometer and you are physically holding the accelerometer while you are accelerating at constant acceleration?

Now you accelerate at increasing acceleration without anything physically touching you. Do you feel anything? What would an accelerometer read if the same force is applied to the accelerometer without anything physically touching the accelerometer? What would an accelerometer read if the no force is applied to the accelerometer and you are physically holding the accelerometer while you are accelerating at increasing acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
If an inexplicable uniform gravitational field is giving me a weight, then I don't feel a thing because each element of mass in my body is subjected to proportional amount of force, and each bit of mass is accelerating due to this force by the same amount - there is no compression.

I don't see any reason the case would be different with a time-varying uniform gravitational field, but I never really thought about this before so I'm not certain.

I think an accelerometer would agree, since they are effectively measuring the same thing- proper acceleration.

Forge said:
You are accelerating at constant acceleration without anything physically touching you. Do you feel anything?
Depends on what is causing you to accelerate. If it is gravity, then no. Anything else must be physically touching you to accelerate you though.
What would an accelerometer read if the same force is applied to the accelerometer without anything physically touching the accelerometer?
Same answer: if it is gravity doing the accelerating, then it reads nothing.
What would an accelerometer read if the no force is applied to the accelerometer and you are physically holding the accelerometer while you are accelerating at constant acceleration?
Same answer.
Now you accelerate at increasing acceleration without anything physically touching you. Do you feel anything? What would an accelerometer read if the same force is applied to the accelerometer without anything physically touching the accelerometer?
Same answer.
What would an accelerometer read if the no force is applied to the accelerometer and you are physically holding the accelerometer while you are accelerating at increasing acceleration?
You can't accelerate something without applying a force to it.

So would you be technically correct in saying that you are weightless when you are in orbit with Earth despite that your weight causes you to stay in orbit?

It depends on what the definition of weight is.
If it is the force of gravity on an object then technically you can never be weightless.
If it is what can be measured on bathroom scales then you will have no weight in free fall.
Sometimes, in exam questions, an object in free fall is said to experience 'apparent weightlessness'
In an exam you would be expected to explain.

russ_watters said:
Depends on what is causing you to accelerate. If it is gravity, then no. Anything else must be physically touching you to accelerate you though.
How about being accelerated by an electromagnetic field?

ImaLooser said:
How about being accelerated by an electromagnetic field?
Can a person be accelerated that way?

The Maglev is a train propelled by electromagnetic effects. If you were on it I suppose you could say that electromagnetic fields were responsible for the acceleration you experience.

technician said:
The Maglev is a train propelled by electromagnetic effects. If you were on it I suppose you could say that electromagnetic fields were responsible for the acceleration you experience.

Wouldn't it be friction?

The electromagnetic fields would be responsible for accelerating the magnets under the train. But the friction between the magnets and the train is responsible for accelerating the train. The friction between your feet and the train is responsible for accelerating you.

technician said:

That's pretty indirect. What is causing your acceleration is the back of your seat. THAT's what is touching you.

Indirect but not wrong

technician said:
Indirect but not wrong

agreed

Disagree. Two reasons:

1. The magnetic field accelerates the train. You are accelerated by the chair you are sitting in. "Would be responsible" is carefully selected wording to try to avoid this disconnect.
2. The question was asking how you can be accelerated without feeling a force. If you are on a maglev train that is accelerating, you most definitely feel a force.

1. What is deep space?

Deep space refers to the vast, empty regions of outer space that lie beyond the boundaries of our solar system. It is characterized by extremely low temperatures, little to no matter, and a lack of light or atmosphere.

2. How far into deep space can we currently travel?

As of now, the farthest humans have ever traveled into deep space is to the moon, which is approximately 238,855 miles away from Earth. However, we have sent probes and satellites much farther, with Voyager 1 currently being the farthest human-made object at over 13 billion miles away.

3. What challenges do astronauts face when traveling through deep space?

Astronauts face a number of challenges when traveling through deep space, including exposure to high levels of radiation, isolation and confinement, and the effects of microgravity on the human body. They also have to be self-sufficient for long periods of time, as resupply missions may not be possible.

4. Is there life in deep space?

It is currently unknown whether there is life in deep space. While scientists have discovered evidence of microbial life on other planets and moons within our solar system, the vast majority of deep space is still unexplored and it is difficult to determine the likelihood of life existing in these regions.

5. Can we ever travel to other galaxies in deep space?

At our current technological level, traveling to other galaxies in deep space is not possible. The distances are simply too vast for our current spacecraft to reach. However, advancements in technology and propulsion systems may one day make it possible to travel to other galaxies.