Supremums and Infimums (Introduction to Real Analysis I)

In summary, the conversation discussed using a link to access a document containing all the necessary math symbols. The individual has completed their work on the document and is open to any corrections or suggestions. There was also a reminder to consider whether 0 belongs in the set of natural numbers, and a clarification on how to properly find the supremum of a sequence.
pzzldstudent
This is the only way I knew how to get all the math symbols in one document. I hope the link works.

http://www.4shared.com/file/63754067/34c48bd5/SupremumInfimum.html"

I've done all my work there on the document.

Any help, corrections, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most look good - think about whether [tex] 0 \in \mathbb{N} [/tex].

As a comment: for some of the sequences you have comments like this: ''the sup is [tex] 1 [/tex] when [tex] n [/tex] is odd''

That isn't the correct way to think about it. The range of the sequence is a set of numbers, and you are looking for the supremum of that set. If that is indeed [tex] 1 [/tex], you don't need to make any reference to the value of [tex] n [/tex] - simply say [tex] \sup \mathcal{C} = 1 [/tex]

thanks!

1. What is the definition of supremum and infimum?

Supremum and infimum are two important concepts in real analysis that describe the maximum and minimum bounds of a set of numbers, respectively. The supremum of a set is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set, while the infimum is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

2. How are supremum and infimum different from maximum and minimum?

While the supremum and infimum are the maximum and minimum bounds of a set of numbers, they may not necessarily be included in the set. On the other hand, the maximum and minimum are the actual largest and smallest numbers in the set.

3. Can a set have more than one supremum or infimum?

No, a set can only have one supremum and one infimum. This is because these values are unique and are the maximum and minimum bounds of the set, respectively.

4. How can supremum and infimum be used in real analysis?

In real analysis, supremum and infimum are used to define limits, continuity, and convergence of sequences. They also play a crucial role in the definition of derivatives and integrals.

5. Is there a difference between the supremum and maximum of a set?

Yes, there is a difference between the supremum and maximum of a set. The supremum is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set, while the maximum is the actual largest number in the set.