1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Brightness at any angle

1. Sep 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is a picture of the problem
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bps6ga2o4hjpgw/hw4.png?dl=0
    For those who don't want to click the link, basically the problem wants me to calculate the surface brightness of a flat surface at any angle if the source function S = B(T), which is a constant.

It then wants me to consider limits at optical depths τ<<1 and τ >>1, and to know why brightness is not infinite at θ = π/2,

2. Relevant equations
    Non were provided. My guess for the first part is that I should use something similar to
    F=∫ I⋅Cos(θ) dΩ. I have no idea for the second part.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found that for a flat source Ω=2π, so the result of this integral may be F= I⋅2π⋅Cos(θ), however, then the
    second question makes no sense, as Cos(π/2)=0 (unless that's the point). Further, I don't know if that is even the right equation, as I am not sure I want flux for this.

I am also unsure how to handle the optical depth portion of the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may get more response if that image is posted directly.

upload_2016-9-24_21-36-23.png

4. Sep 24, 2016 #3
    You may get more response if that image is posted directly.

Thank you! I was unable to do so, I apologize.

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4
    I'm going to bump this question one more time. I can literally find nothing about this problem online, or in two different text books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted