Surface flux through a single finite element

In summary, the individual is facing a real-life problem related to finding the flux of a vector field through a surface defined by three given points. The vector field is represented by Q = u(x,y,z)i + v(x,y,z)j and the vertical component is omitted. The individual knows the values of the vector's components at three points and can assume linearity. They have searched for finite element representation but have not found a solution. They suggest finding Q(x,y,z) using a second-order expression and then using analytic geometry to find the flux. They also provide a past method for finding the flux using linear triangular elements.
PSantiago
Hi,

I'm facing a real-life problem and I don't what specific mathematics topic it's related to.

Homework Statement

I know the value of the components of a vector field in three points of space and I have to find the flux of this vector field through the surface defined by those points.

Lets say that the vector field is the following

Q = u(x,y,z)i + v(x,y,z)j

The vertical component of the vector field is omitted because I know that the surface is vertical.

I know the value of the vector's components (u1,v1), (u2,v2) and (u3,v3) in the coordinates (x1,y1,z1), (x2,y2,z2) and (x3,y3,z3), which may be seen as the vertices of a triangular surface.

Linear variations may be assumed for the vector component functions.

Homework Equations

That's what I'm looking for.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've searched a lot for finite element representation of surface fluxes, but I've found nothing what clearly looked similar to my problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously you first need to find Q(x,y,z). Since you know Q at 3 points only, and you say you can "assume linearity", then you could write ∂Q/∂x = ax and ∂Q/∂y = by. ∂Q/∂z = 0. But now you have two equations with 3 boundary conditions for x, and same for y. So you'd have to assume a second-order expression for those two derivatives, I guess.

Once you knew Q, the flux of course is just a problem in analytic geometry.

Here is what I have done in the past with linear triangular elements. You have the value of the field at the nodes of the element. Represent the value of the field over the element as a simple set of 3 equations over the local coordinate system of the element.

The field is represented as

F1 = a0 + a1*x1 + a2*y1

F2 = a0 + a1*x2 + a2*y2

F3 = a0 + a1*x3 + a2*y3

You have 3 equations and 3 unknowns. Solve for a0, a1, a2. Evaluate the flux at the centroid and apply it as a flux over the entire element uniformly. F1, F2, F3 are the nodal values of the field. the x's and y's are the local coordinates of the corresponding nodes.

Last edited:

1. What is surface flux through a single finite element?

Surface flux through a single finite element is a measure of the amount of energy or mass flowing through a single finite element on the surface of a material or object. It is typically calculated by taking the dot product of the flux vector and the unit normal vector of the surface at a specific point.

2. How is surface flux through a single finite element calculated?

The surface flux through a single finite element is calculated by taking the dot product of the flux vector and the unit normal vector of the surface at a specific point. This calculation can be done using mathematical equations or through computer simulations.

3. What factors affect surface flux through a single finite element?

The surface flux through a single finite element can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the element, the material properties of the element, and the external conditions such as temperature, pressure, and flow velocity. The orientation of the element and the direction of the flux vector also play a role in determining the surface flux.

4. Why is surface flux through a single finite element important in scientific research?

Surface flux through a single finite element is an important concept in scientific research because it helps us understand the flow of energy or mass through a material or object. It is particularly useful in studying heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and mass transport in various systems and processes. By accurately calculating surface flux, scientists can make predictions and analyze the behavior of materials and objects in different environments.

5. How can surface flux through a single finite element be measured experimentally?

Surface flux through a single finite element can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as heat flux sensors, mass spectrometry, and flow visualization methods. These techniques involve directly measuring the flux or its effects on the surface of the element, and they can provide valuable data for validating theoretical or computational models.