1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface tension object targeted

1. Jul 1, 2014 #1
    To what I know, surface tension is a force that appear at the interface between 2 bulk phases, and is parallel to that interface.

Let consider a bulk of a fluid in the air. In the bulk of a fluid at rest, two sub-parts of a fluid exert a attractive force on one another due to surface tension.

What I'm asking is that: Do two sub-parts of the air around exert a force on one another? (surface tension of the air) If they do, is the force equal the force in the fluid? If they don't, why? What if I replace the air by another suitable fluid?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2
    In general the molecules in a gas are too far from each other in order to produce non-negligible forces on each other except during very brief collisions. That's the main difference between a liquid and a gas.

4. Jul 1, 2014 #3
    Ok so what would happen if I put a fluid inside some other fluid?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook