Surface tension of an ant on water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
engineer23
Messages
68
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An ant weighs 5 mg and requires 0.5 mm of edge to "walk on water" with the aid of surface tension. How much edge is required for a human who weighs 50 kg?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm assuming that the relationship between area and weight is linear in this case. Is this a correct assumption?? If so, then I know how to work the problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
CAn you explain meaning of edge, I've never used this term in surface tension problems.
And in my view surface tension can't bear 50kg force.
 
rajatgl16 said:
CAn you explain meaning of edge, I've never used this term in surface tension problems.
Think of 'edge' as the perimeter of an area.
And in my view surface tension can't bear 50kg force.
Wouldn't that depend on how much 'edge' you have? (That's the point of the exercise.)

(Note that you are responding to a post that is over a year old.)