Survey with dynamic question selection

In summary: I am thinking about using something like R. Any thoughts?In summary, the respondent is trying to figure out how to weight survey responses to determine whether or not a person will like a specific notebook design. They use correlation regression to find the equation, and then use it to create 40 different questions about what people like in notebooks.
GiTS
I am designing a survey to gather data on consumer preferences for notebooks (school club charity project). The survey will contain only 10 questions about what notebook designs they prefer. Thus, I only want them to see notebooks they are likely to want.

I am not sure how to set up the equation. I want to find the probability a person will like a notebook based on their responses and the responses of others. Sort of like how amazon has “people who bought this product also liked”.

So if I have 40 different designs of notebooks, I want to give each design a chance to appear on the survey, but weighted by the probability the person will like it.

The notebooks the very first respondent sees are completely random. But the next respondent sees what they are likely to like, based on the first person.

I am trying to simplify the problem to make it easier for me. Alice and Bob take surveys. Alice goes first.

Q1: Do you like Tacos? Y/N
Q2: Do you like Pizza? Y/N
Q3: Do you like Spaghetti? Y/N

Alice answers Y,N,Y

What’s the probability Bob will give a specific answer for:
Q1, Q2, Q3

I figure if I can find the basic equation I can turn it into 40 different questions and hundreds of respondents.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, after some memory jogging research I think I need to use correlation regression. Now, i just have to remember/relearn the equation for it and how to solve.

I can problem find Ʃ with some for of counting loop like
$n = number of respondents
for $n ($x1 +...

Ok, so I've simplified the problem down and changed some things to make it easier to think about.

Three possible questions:
Do you like Tacos? y/n
Do you like Burritos? y/n
Do you like Soup? y/n

After 100 completed surveys the results are
a People who liked tacos, burritos and soup: 30%
b People who liked tacos, burritos only: 35%
c People who liked tacos, soup only: 4%
d People who liked burritos and soup only: 3%
e People who liked tacos only: 7%
f People who liked burritos only: 6%
g People who liked soup only: 15%

The 101st respondent is asked "do you like tacos?"
The odds they will like tacos are 7%+4%+30%+35%=76%
They respond "yes"
Then they are asked : Do you like burritos?
The odds must be adjusted because now there are less possibilities.d, f and g must be removed.
So
a People who liked tacos, burritos and soup: 30%
b People who liked tacos, burritos only: 35%
c People who liked tacos, soup only: 4%
e People who liked tacos only: 7%

it only adds up to 76%. If we adjust the percentages above to total 100. So of the people that liked tacos...
a People who liked tacos, burritos and soup: 39.5%
b People who liked tacos, burritos only: 46.1%
c People who liked tacos, soup only: 5.1%
e People who liked tacos only: 9.3%

The respondent is answers no.

So of the respondents who liked tacos but not burritos...
c People who liked tacos, soup only: 35.4%
e People who liked tacos only: 64.6%

Thus, there is a higher likely hood that the respondent will not like soup.

Now I just have to think about how to apply this better. For some reason, maybe my business stats class, I think I need least squares and a regression analysis...

After consulting my a statistics professor, I will be using ANOVA or regression analysis. I may not use php as it is a pain to host.

I would suggest considering a few key factors in designing your survey and determining the probability of a person liking a specific notebook design. First, it may be helpful to consider the target audience for your survey - are you focusing on a specific demographic or age group? This could impact the likelihood of certain notebook designs being preferred. Additionally, it may be useful to gather preliminary data on the popularity of certain notebook designs among a larger population to inform your selection process.

In terms of the equation, you could potentially use a weighted average approach where the probability of a person liking a specific notebook design is determined by their response to the previous question as well as the overall popularity of that design among the larger population. You could also consider incorporating a machine learning algorithm to dynamically adjust the questions based on each respondent's previous answers, similar to how Amazon's "people who bought this product also liked" feature works.

Overall, the key is to gather as much data as possible and use statistical methods to analyze and interpret the results. It may also be helpful to consult with a data scientist or statistician for guidance on designing and analyzing your survey. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a survey with dynamic question selection?

A survey with dynamic question selection is a type of survey in which the questions presented to each participant are based on their previous responses. This means that the questions will change depending on how the participant has answered previous questions. It is a way to personalize the survey and make it more relevant to each individual.

2. How does dynamic question selection work?

Dynamic question selection works by using logic and branching in the survey design. This means that the survey is programmed to show different questions based on the participant's previous answers. For example, if a participant selects "Yes" for a question, they may be shown a follow-up question that is relevant to that response. If they select "No", they may be shown a different question or skip the follow-up question altogether.

3. What are the benefits of using dynamic question selection in a survey?

Using dynamic question selection in a survey has several benefits. First, it can help to improve the accuracy and reliability of the data collected. By tailoring the questions to each participant, the survey can avoid asking irrelevant or confusing questions. Additionally, it can improve the participant's experience by making the survey more engaging and personalized. This can lead to higher response rates and more meaningful data.

4. Are there any limitations to using dynamic question selection?

While dynamic question selection can be a useful tool in survey design, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it requires more time and effort to set up and program the survey. This may not be feasible for all types of surveys, especially those with a large number of questions. Additionally, dynamic question selection may not be appropriate for surveys with sensitive or complex topics, as it may not allow participants to fully express their thoughts and opinions.

5. How can I implement dynamic question selection in my survey?

To implement dynamic question selection in your survey, you will need to use a survey tool or software that offers this feature. Most modern survey tools have this capability, but it may require a paid subscription or upgrade. Once you have access to the feature, you can set up logic and branching for each question in your survey to determine which questions are shown based on the participant's responses. It is important to thoroughly test and review your survey before launching to ensure that the logic and branching are working correctly.