1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Survive falling into water. Calm vs Disturbed

1. Mar 16, 2017 #1
    I heard that you can not survive a fall into water at a height of 250 feet or higher.
    I have also heard that the reason for this is it acts like concrete at the speed you would be traveling.

My example scenario is kinda odd but goes like this. You are a paratrooper. You have just jumped out of a plane and your parachute has failed to deploy but, there is hope because the ocean is under you. If you drop a cooked grenade into the water would it disrupt the water to the point that you could fall into the blast point and survive?

My reasoning:
    1.What kills you is the sudden stop. So making the impact last longer (with a roll for example) reduces the chance of death.
    2.You would still hit the water but, disturbed water is more spread out with pockets of air so it may slow your fall over time and not all at once. Possibly leading to you being able to survive the fall.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it might work but fragments of the grenade will go in all direction including upwards.

You might be interested in this..
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1350-bubbling-seas-can-sink-ships/

4. Mar 16, 2017 #3
    That was quick thank you for a great read as well.
    Is there a way to tell how much higher that would allow?
    Or is there to many unknown variables to figure that out?

5. Mar 16, 2017 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no simple yes no answer. Although falls at that height are usually fatal, everyone remembers the notable exceptions. Readers Digest once had a story about a man that fell 20000 feet out of a bomber in WWII and survived. But others have died tripping over their own feet.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. Mar 17, 2017 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ground or water? I remember reading a case from the pacific, with water impact, bones broken, but still able to swim to nearby shore.

7. Mar 17, 2017 #6

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would do that every time as a paratrooper, to clean my landing zone.

But seriously, getting the timing right on that one would be the most difficult part. On the other hand you have little to lose here.

8. Mar 17, 2017 #7

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I remember right, it was snow.

9. Mar 17, 2017 #8

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We should have an engineering term for that. I mean the desperate things you try when you have only seconds to live and nothing to lose by trying. :smile:
    Invent the right phrase and it could go viral and make you famous. :wink:

10. Mar 17, 2017 #9

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Terminal Creativity

11. Mar 17, 2017 #10
    Zugzwang Improvisation

12. Mar 17, 2017 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

"I'll be back!"

13. Mar 17, 2017 #12
    When the grenade is dropped it probably won't fall a lot faster than the guy is falling.
    Maybe a little faster as it probably is a roundish shape, more aerodynamic, so is less affected by air resistance
    But he wants it to fall a LOT faster than him, so that it detonates several seconds ahead of his own arrival at the surface.

14. Mar 17, 2017 #13

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Reminds me of a RoadRunner cartoon...

http://home.ku.edu.tr/ffisunoglu/public_html/coyote/wile-coyote-wallpaper.jpg
    wile-coyote-wallpaper.jpg

15. Mar 18, 2017 #14

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, you want to throw it down. But getting the timing right at the first time, including the grenade's detonation delay, is very unlikely. I would rather concentrate on getting the body position right, to minimize damage.

16. Mar 18, 2017 #15

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Related Physics Puzzle:

By accident you walk into an elevator shaft, with the elevator at rest somewhere far below you. Before you start to fall you have just enough time to push one of two buttons:
    - UP will instantaneously make the elevator move up with a constant speed V
    - DOWN will instantaneously make the elevator move down with a constant speed V
    What do you do (to minimize your impact speed) ?

Assume no air resistance, and that when pressing DOWN you will reach the elevator before it reaches ground floor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted