Suscept. of a Diamagnet (eqn): what are these variables?

• Thread starter bhimberg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the equation <chi_m = -\frac{Z e^2 n \mu_0}{4 m}<p^2> is related to diamagnetism. The variable n represents the number of electrons per unit volume, with a being the unit cell volume. The denominator m refers to the mass of the electron. The value <p^2> is the expectation value of the wave function of a hydrogen atom. This equation is often used in physics calculations, and it is important to use the correct values for the variables in order to obtain accurate results.
bhimberg
[tex]\chi_m = - \frac{Z e^2 n \mu_0}{4 m} <p^2>[/tex]

My understanding is that [tex]n = N/V[/tex], where the volume is the volume of a unit cell containing Z electrons (in this case [tex]n = \frac{1}{a^3}[/tex]). The m in the denominator is related to the larmor frequency and, for a hydrogen atom, should be the mass of a proton.

[tex]<p^2>[/tex] is an expectation value of the wave function of the hydrogen atom. While this is certainly a homework question, I'm asking for general guidance about the equation. Am I correct in assuming [tex]m = m_p[/tex] is the mass of a proton? My numbers keep coming out many orders of magnitude greater so I must be missing something fundamental.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the susceptibility of a diamagnet?

The susceptibility of a diamagnet is a measure of how easily it is magnetized in response to an external magnetic field. It is a dimensionless quantity and is typically very small for diamagnetic materials.

2. What are diamagnetic materials?

Diamagnetic materials are substances that are not attracted to magnetic fields and do not produce magnetic fields of their own. They are repelled by both poles of a magnet and have a negative susceptibility value.

3. What is the equation for susceptibility of a diamagnet?

The equation for susceptibility of a diamagnet is χ = -C/B, where χ is the susceptibility, C is the magnetization constant, and B is the applied magnetic field strength.

4. How do temperature and pressure affect the susceptibility of a diamagnet?

Temperature and pressure have a minimal effect on the susceptibility of a diamagnet. As temperature increases, the susceptibility decreases slightly, while pressure has a negligible effect on the susceptibility.

5. What are some examples of diamagnetic materials?

Some examples of diamagnetic materials include copper, gold, silver, bismuth, and water. These materials have a negative susceptibility and are repelled by magnets.