Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Susskind on black hole in collider experiment

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    In a video I watched, which I can't find now, Leonard Susskind briefly mentions something about scientists recently creating what seemed to be a black hole in a collider (not the LHC). He said that the scientists needed to use string theory and extra dimensions to make sense of it. Something like that. He didn't seem to want to jump the gun about it or give too much info, that perhaps it hadn't been confirmed or something like that.

Can anyone point me in the right direction about this? I'd like to find out more about the experiment in question, and maybe figure out which video that was.

Thanks.:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2009 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

Maybe "Solving quantum field theories via curved spacetimes" by Klebanov and Maldacena, accessible from http://motls.blogspot.com/2009/01/klebanov-and-maldacena-about-hyperbolic.html

"Thermodynamic and transport properties of a strongly coupled QFT are related to properties of the black hole geometry. ......... RHIC is believed to have produced a new state of matter, which was originally dubbed the quark–gluon plasma. Experiments at RHIC established that the matter behaves more like a liquid than a plasma because its viscosity is much smaller than had been expected. Interestingly, when the gauge/gravity duality is applicable, it also predicts a low value for the viscosity."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?