SUSY leptons and quarks

• Thread starter orricl
  • Start date
If susy really exist in nature, why does it not exist between leptons or quarks and gauge bosons such as photons, weak currents or gluons in the standard model?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428941207.906174.jpg

Answers and Replies

What do you mean with "between leptons or quarks and gauge bosons"? That does not make sense.
Supersymmetry (if it exists) gives every particle a corresponding partner (a bit more in the Higgs sector). We know that all known particles are not supersymmetric partners of other known particles.

arivero
Gold Member
Supersymmetry (if it exists) gives every particle a corresponding partner
This is a twist of the English language I am never sure of: Does "a particle" mean "one particle", or "at least one"? Because of each Weyl fermion we get two scalars.

I don't want to go into details how to count particles, as I don't think it helps here.

haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Because the supersymmetry forces you to consider multiplets with particles which differ by (steps of) spin 1/2.

arivero
Gold Member
Reading again the OP question, I think it asks for R-parity.

haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Ah, ok. I would say that these fermionic superpartners of the gauge bosons must sit in the same rep. of the gauge group, namely the adjoint. This is because gauge transfo's commute with susy. But quarks and leptons sit in the fundamental rep.

ChrisVer
Gold Member
Reading again the OP question, I think it asks for R-parity.
You have a good sense of imagination if you interpreted that question as a question on "R-parity":biggrin: ...
I think you can show that the susy algebra allows for an extension of U(1)-symmetry , whose generators follow certain algebra relations.
Also if I recall well, this extra symmetry can send some parameters in the Lagrangian to be very small to avoid e.g. proton decay with unreasonable lifetime...

Last edited:
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
We've got 7 messages guessing what the OP meant. He's been back several times since he posted his question. Since he hasn't clarified it, I'd guess he no longer is interested in it, so all this arguing about what he means is probably futile.

ohwilleke
Gold Member
Just for fun, I'll provide my reading of the OP:

I think the OP is asking, "why can't the Standard Model fundamental bosons be the superpartners of the Standard Model fundamental fermions?" The notion is that is supersymmetry is a symmetry between fundamental bosons and fundamental fermions. So, why don't the ones we have balance out without the need to hypothesize new sparticals to do the balancing.

The answer to that question is, that in SUSY the balancing is tautologically obvious which makes a variety of mathematical questions of broader concern in quantum physics much simpler. Any balancing between fermions and bosons in the Standard Model has cryptic origins that are not part of the Standard Model itself and are not understood at this time.