Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suzanne Pleshette has passed away

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For those old enough, she is probably best known for being Bob Newhart's wife on the first Bob Newhart show.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

That was a great role! Sexy, snide, sarcastic at times - a wonderful foil to Newhart's dead-pan delivery. We lost Tom Posten earlier, too - a comedian that could out-deadpan Newhart, if that is possible.

4. Jan 20, 2008 #3

Evo

Is Newhart still alive?

5. Jan 20, 2008 #4

Astronuc

6. Jan 20, 2008 #5

Astronuc

Yeah, I agree. She had a wonderful sense of humor and was great with Newhart.

Pleshette was married to Tom Poston, until he died last year.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  7. Jan 20, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Yeah, he turns 80 next year. I know that he used to play tennis, and if he walks several miles/day like my 82-year old father, he may weather as well as George Burns did.

8. Jan 20, 2008 #7
  9. Jan 20, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is hard to imagine that she was seventy! It was even harder to imagine that she was married to Tom Poston!!! I never knew that until Poston died.

I will always remember Pleshette for her role in what was called the greatest surprise ending in TV history. Great stuff!!!

10. Jan 20, 2008 #9

Evo

She remained very attractive even at that age.
    Wow. l would never imagine those two together.

11. Jan 20, 2008 #10
    She was so beautiful and funny. I didnt know about Posten either, but he was a very funny man, so the two of them, more then likely had a great life together. I still think the way they ended the second Newhart show was the best TV I have ever seen.

12. Jan 21, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right there with the WKRP turkey drop.

13. Jan 21, 2008 #12

jtbell

I just about fell off the couch when I saw that ending for the second Newhart series. But I had to explain it to my wife. She had been watching the second series because she went to college in Vermont and her parents moved there when they retired, so she knew about Vermont inns and could relate to the basic story line of the show. But she had never seen the first Newhart series, so that ending puzzled her at first!

14. Jan 21, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

A friend of mine lived in East Middlebury, just a short walk from the inn that was used in the exterior shots of the second series. And yeah, Vermont looks that pretty in a lot of places.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?