1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swinburne online astronomy degree

1. Jun 9, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone. I want to know if anybody has heard good things about the Swinburne online astronomy master’s degree program. Is this a respectable program for PhD entrance committees here in the US or abroad? Due to my schedule, an online master’s degree program in astronomy would really work out for me. I am hesitant though because I want to continue to the PhD and want to make sure that this program at Swinburne is a respectable one.

Here is the website for the program: http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In the US, a masters is not a prerequistite for the PhD.

4. Jun 11, 2010 #3
    Agreed. But my grades are not good enough to get into a PhD program (plus my ug degree is in math), so I want to do well in a masters program to increase my chances of getting in a phd program

5. Jun 11, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I see. You weren't serious enough to get good grades in the first place, and you aren't serious enough to devote the effort into getting a MS by going full-time. But you expect a school to offer you a place in a PhD program.

I think you are going to have a very, very difficult time.

6. Jun 12, 2010 #5
    Getting a part-time degree while holding down a full-time job seems pretty impressive to me. The UK tends to look benignly on part-time students, maybe because the the Open University is held in high regard. So look out for Commonwealth scholarships!

7. Jun 12, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, but universities expect their graduate students to be holding down a full-time job - working for them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook