Swinging physics teacher problem

In summary: Obviously your favourite physics teacher isn't quite strong at physics.Tarzan would have done better.
leaf345
Hey all, I was doing a physics question in preparation for an exam, but I can't seem to figure it out!

The question:

"Your favourite physics teacher who is late for class attempts to swing from the roof of a 24 metre high building to the bottom of an idential building using a 24 metre rope as shown. She starts for rest with the rope horizontal, but the rope will break if the tension force in it is twice the weight of the teacher. How high is the swinging physicist above level when the rope breaks?"

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4771/physics27gc.jpg

What I tried was:
Treat is as a centripetal force problem. Find the speed when T=2mg and W=mg. Once I find the speed, I can use conservation of energy to figure out what the height is. The problem is I don't know how to find speed! Any hints on how to figure out the Fnet when T=2mg and W=mg? Or am I doing this all wrong?

Also, just to make sure, in the equation F=[m(v^2)]/r, F stands for Fnet, correct?
If that's the case, then in the case of a rock attached to a string and being swung in a circle vertically:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5808/centripital8en.jpg
Then the net acceleration and force is not directed towards the centre anymore, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your well on your way, but don't forget to resolve the weight. So you have;

[tex]F_{net} = T - mg\cos\theta[/tex]

Where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle the rope makes with the vertical. So as an overall equation you have;

[tex]T - mg\cos\theta = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

Now, you can determine the velocity of the teacher at any point using conservation of energy.

Obviously your favourite physics teacher isn't quite strong at physics.
Tarzan would have done better.

hi.. i am working on the same problem.. however i can't figure it out, even with the help already given... any chance someone can post the complete solution?
thanks for the help!

mld said:
hi.. i am working on the same problem.. however i can't figure it out, even with the help already given... any chance someone can post the complete solution?
thanks for the help!
The forum rules prohibit the posting of complete solutions, however, we can help you through the problem if you show some effort. What have you attempted thus far? What are your thoughts/ideas?

Last edited:
Ok, well working with what you gave us, I have gotten the equation down to:
T-mgcostheta=(mv^2)/r
2mg-mgcostheta=(mv^2)/r
2g-gcostheta=v^2/r
2(9.8)-9.8costheta=v^2/24

I'm not sure where to go from here. I know that the rope will break when the left side of the equation is equal to the right side, correct? I feel as if I'm a little out of my element here and any help would be great.

mld said:
Ok, well working with what you gave us, I have gotten the equation down to:
T-mgcostheta=(mv^2)/r
2mg-mgcostheta=(mv^2)/r
2g-gcostheta=v^2/r
2(9.8)-9.8costheta=v^2/24

I'm not sure where to go from here. I know that the rope will break when the left side of the equation is equal to the right side, correct? I feel as if I'm a little out of my element here and any help would be great.

Your on the right lines. See the hint in one of my earlier posts,
Hootenanny said:
Now, you can determine the velocity of the teacher at any point using conservation of energy.

1. What is the swinging physics teacher problem?

The swinging physics teacher problem is a classic physics problem that involves a teacher swinging on a rope attached to the ceiling. The teacher swings back and forth, and the question is to determine the maximum angle at which the rope should be released in order for the teacher to safely land on a platform.

2. What factors affect the solution to the swinging physics teacher problem?

The solution to the swinging physics teacher problem is affected by various factors, including the length of the rope, the height of the platform, the mass of the teacher, and the initial angle of the swing. These factors all play a role in determining the maximum angle at which the rope should be released.

3. How can I solve the swinging physics teacher problem?

The swinging physics teacher problem can be solved using principles of kinematics, specifically the equations of motion for an object in circular motion. By setting up and solving these equations, you can determine the maximum angle for the rope release.

4. What is the significance of the swinging physics teacher problem?

The swinging physics teacher problem is a common example used to demonstrate the application of physics principles in real-life situations. It also helps to reinforce the concept of circular motion and the importance of understanding the forces at play in such scenarios.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the swinging physics teacher problem?

While the swinging physics teacher problem may seem like a hypothetical scenario, it has real-world applications. Understanding the forces involved in circular motion is important in fields such as engineering, sports, and aerospace. The problem also helps to improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.